Connect with us

paper like wires - what are these ?

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by brazingo, Feb 1, 2006.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. brazingo

    brazingo Guest

    i have seen very flat wires with strips running through them. what
    are these cables called? they are very flat just like paper and have
    conducting paths and are flexible. these are found on connections to cd
    rom motors(not on the one that ejects the tray)
  2. John Fields

    John Fields Guest

  3. Lord Garth

    Lord Garth Guest

    One form is vapor deposited aluminum on mylar. You can't solder to these
    and there is a limited number of cycles before it fatigues and fails.

    I have seen many flip cover cell phones that blank the screen due to cable
  4. "Flexible PCB" is one term used.
    "mylar ribbon cable" or "flat cable" are other terms.
    There are probably many others too.

    You can get ones designed to be plugged into connectors (they can't be
    soldered), while others (specifically "flexible PCBs") actually have
    tinned plated through pads and can be soldered to pins and have SMD or
    through hole components mounted on them. Very popular in high density
    consumer items like cameras.

    Dave :)
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day