Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pancake Slip Ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

cspannos

Jul 24, 2010
Anyone know where I can get my hands on a pancake-style slip ring? It needs to have at least 2-4 concentric rings and is no more than 40mm in diameter. The one I need would look similar to this:

http://www.sibley.com/sliprings.shtml

The will be a small servo motor mounted underneath passing through one part of the slip ring and attached to the top part in order to spin that top part only. So I guess the bottom part would need to have a large bore through it, at least 20-25mm I would say.

I mean, do they make such things ready to buy off the shelf? or do I have to try to make one on my own from a blank copper circuit board?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Hmmm, the Sibly company seem to make them.

You could probably make them from printed circuit board, but you'd have to worry about coating the copper and making them exactly concentric.

cspannos

Jul 24, 2010
Yeah, this company makes them but I'm sure they are looking for quantity purchases. I just need one for a small project. I'd feel weird even giving them a call asking for one. I guess I'll shoot them an e-mail and see if they have anything lying around that they can part with.

cspannos

Jul 24, 2010
Just an update... this is what I came up with:

4862130372_b2d943294d_o_d.jpg

I used different sized key rings and cut out acrylic spacers with a CO2 laser at work. I just have to add a couple of thin pieces of metal to act as brushes on one half of the ring to make sure there is good contact. Then I would epoxy the back side of each really well to make sure they don't fall apart.

Hopefully it works ;)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Silby say they supply prototype quantities, but what you've done looks interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.