Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Panasonic VCR Issues (Model AG-7330)

asks-for-boots

Apr 2, 2015
As an arts student and avid VHS collector, I went and bought what seems to be a commercial-grade VCR from eBay. It was sold to me as untested, and when it finally arrived today it seemed to power up fine.
However, upon inserting a cassette and hitting play, it shut down with an "E-5" error. When I restarted it and tried rewinding the tape, the counter seemed to roll backwards in short bursts, as if the tape was slipping. Every time after that, powering up the VCR gave an E-5 error and it lost functionality, making it impossible to eject the tape.
I opened it up and took the tape out manually, and now the issue is that, despite the cassette enclosure being in the ejected position, the tape symbol light is on suggesting it "thinks" there's a tape still in. Every time it's switched on the rewind motor starts and then stops after a few seconds to display the E-5 error.
I did tinker around with it for a few hours and the error message changed from E-5 to E-3, E-2 and then E-5 again. I looked these up and found that E-2 is "elevator trouble", E-3 is "loading lock trouble" and E-5 is "reel lock trouble". However all the manual suggests I do to rectify the problem is to contact my "local dealer".
The unit did come to me in bad condition as if to suggest it had been dropped or stored on its front. I also found a small piece of white plastic within it that doesn't look like it's been snapped but I can't work out where it's from. It does seem to *almost* work and I'm determined to repair it.
All I could find from Googling was to leave it off for 5 minutes to clear the error, but that doesn't seem to help, and I can't make much sense of the manual.
Has anybody any ideas? Thanks!

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Untested is Ebay code for broken piece of junk.

Sounds like it doesn't like the movement of the take up reel. Possibly a mechanical problem like a bad belt or flat spot on a roller, or somekind of feedback problem like an encoder.

Honestly, its obsolete and not really worth fixing. If your determined, you might be able to find another one to salvage parts. Its doubtful oem parts are still available.

GPG

Sep 18, 2015
Get a tape you dont want and gut it removing the clear windows. Cover up the tape-end holes with black tape. This is a test blank. See if the machine will load it.
I also found a small piece of white plastic within it
Worrying.

Last edited:

GPG

Sep 18, 2015
Every time it's switched on the rewind motor starts and then stops
Another thing, when it does this be ready (lid off) and rotate the supply reel, assuming by rewind you mean the take-up reel. This tells the controller that all the tape has been wound in.

asks-for-boots

Apr 2, 2015
Untested is Ebay code for broken piece of junk.

Sounds like it doesn't like the movement of the take up reel. Possibly a mechanical problem like a bad belt or flat spot on a roller, or somekind of feedback problem like an encoder.

Honestly, its obsolete and not really worth fixing. If your determined, you might be able to find another one to salvage parts. Its doubtful oem parts are still available.
I can't find another of the same model at a good price, but have found a similar one which claims to be working at a very good price. Shame though since this Panasonic one is quite nice.

asks-for-boots

Apr 2, 2015
Get a tape you dont want and gut it removing the clear windows. Cover up the tape-end holes with black tape. This is a test blank. See if the machine will load it.

Worrying.
I've already tried placing a tape in after removing the elevator but no luck there. I'll try what you said, though I don't have any tapes I don't want. I'll try and find a charity shop tomorrow that still sells VHS to try this. Thanks!

GPG

Sep 18, 2015
I've already tried placing a tape in after removing the elevator but no luck there.
Some machines have switches on the front loading mech to tell sys control the state, and wont operate without the plug in and the tray in the loaded position. Another problem that is common is the mode switch.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir ask for boots . . . . . . . . . . .(but . . .but . . . but . . . . .I only wear shoes.)

Just a bit of graphics to fully supplement the good and sound advice already given to you by GPG.

They make . . . . MADE ? . . . a clear plastic dummy cassette which would let you look down and see the FEED reel YELLOW and the TAKE UP reel RED.
It would also let you reach down and touch their spindles to check for torque, although the feed reel is merely a slight drag to keep tape tensioned while the slight pull is from the take up reel with the REAL tape transport being done by the capstan shaft and it pinch roller. (GREEN circles).
But most problems are associated with the take up reel. Any tape spillover, and the movement sensor associated with that reel will go BAMMMM, and the transport will shut down. ( You don't want 'lebenteen feets of tape all wadded up in the unit !)

In making your "DUMMY TEST CASSETTE" pop out the clear plastic covers and use a DREMEL tool with cutoff wheel OR Sabre saw OR hack saw blade, to remove the YELLOW cut out profile on both top AND bottom and be sure that the unit is 100 % totally free of ANY ANY ANY loose debris, and being totally clean.

The RED area on another VHS unit shows the visible area that you will now be able to see . . . . mainly the units all important take up and feed reels . . . while the unit is fooled into thinking that it is playing a tape..

The black electrical tape comes into play on covering the two shown holes. The machine will brake and shut down if the light path thru these holes is completed, as in detecting the clear plastic leader at the very beginning or very end of a tape or also, if a tape breaks or has a badly trashed area in it.
Also, VEWY- VEWY IMPORTANT, DON'T use a STRONG overhead light on or near the unit as it can TRIP those photocells and shut down the transport.

Put in the test cassette and touch a finger to the hub and see if that take up reel is producing a firm drive, or is it sluggish or slipping . . . .or not even moving.
Waiting to see if you have any snags . . . . . .

73's de Edd

Photo References:

iA5modU.jpg

asks-for-boots

Apr 2, 2015
Thanks for all the help, just to let everyone know I'm still trying to fix this but have been so busy with university I haven't had the chance to try anyone's suggestions yet, I hope I'll have time later tonight or tomorrow.