Connect with us

Panasonic NN-S578WA microwave - not working

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by bulge, Oct 19, 2006.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. bulge

    bulge Guest

    The platter is spinning fine, and it sounds just like it's
    working...but it's not cooking anything - at all.

    Basically it's a microwave without the microwaves :)

    Any ideas what might need replacing? I know nothing about these
    things, but I can open most things up and replace parts without a
    problem (at least that's what I try to convince myself of) ;)

    Thanks for any help!
     
  2. See previous messages re these. They will kill you in a blink.

    "CAUTION: Your microwave oven is capable of giving you a serious electrical
    shock, even when it is unplugged. We strongly suggest you seek the
    assistance of an appliance repair technician when conducting any microwave
    oven repair."

    http://www.partselect.com/microwave+repair+repair.htm

    It's probably a door switch.
     
  3. Guest

    then leave it alone. Microwaves have killed technicians, and you dont
    know what the risks are or how to deal with them. There are times when
    the risk/reward ratio isnt worth it.


    NT
     
  4. tomh

    tomh Guest

    Yes there's a large cap in there that will store the HV, usually 800 to
    1200V or more!, and with enough current to flatten you. It will store
    that voltage even after the unit is turned off, unplugged, and been
    sitting for a while. Those plastic covers on the capacitor terminals are
    there for a reason. SO if you haven't dealt with that kind of HV
    circuitry, put the cover back on, have it serviced by "qualified
    personnel" or pitch it. I and every one else can't stress strongly
    enough that if you're an amateur at these, no offense intended, it's
    best to stay away.
    If you do want to "press on regardless" I believe Sam Goldwasser's
    site has a pretty good write up on troubleshooting these beasts.
    I will add that I have a Panasonic that I picked up at my town dump. I
    replaced a bad door switch and it's been running for 16 years since.
    However based on the symptoms you describe, I'll hazard the guess it is
    probably a HV related control problem. With a bad door switch or
    interlock problem they usually don't run at all.

    good luck and stay safe!
     
  5. I would also have concerns about 'memory effect' with such a cap -
    recharging itself after it has been shorted out.
     
  6. Guest

    There are other risks in nukes as well. If the OP does go ahead anyway,
    it would be wise to do some reading on the risks first, in order to
    minimise them. One risk area to be aware of is the interlock
    switch/resistor/fuse system, which can fail so the machine is
    functional but unsafe. Also beware that the usual insulated tools
    precaution with the HV cap doesnt always prevent death, as has been
    learnt from experience, as there are failure modes and additional
    precaution required. Etc. Nukes and colour TVs are the highest risk
    domestic items during servicing.


    NT
     

  7. That is "Dielectric adsorption", not "Memory effect".
     
  8. It's a nasty surprise either way. Personally I call it "You MotherF***ing
    SOB"
     
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day

-