Connect with us

PALs and GALs

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by (*steve*), Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I've got a few chips that are described as being either PALs or GALs and I wonder what I can do with them.

I realise they require programming.

Is there something that teaches a beginner how to do this? I don't have any objective particularly in mind other than learning.

I guess I also need to find out if programmers are available cheaply because I'm not going to spend $hundreds for some "rainy day" tinkering.

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Haven't heard of PAL's ... PLA's (Programmable Logic Arrays) yes, will be interested to see what others may have to say

Dave

3. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    I did some googling as I'd not heard of these and found a little bit more about them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmable_logic_device#PAL

PAL:

GAL:
    Apparently WinCUPL can be used to program them (link : http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/t...2&family_id=653&subfamily_id=734&tool_id=2759).

From what I understand, there's also an easy to build GAL programmer here: http://elm-chan.org/works/pgal/report_e.html

Not even heard of these before, so I hope the above is some help rather than me going off on a tangent ;)

4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hey Ian,
    havent heard from you for a while. yes that wiki page was rather enlightening :)
    thanks for the link :)

Dave

5. Puno

Puno

Feb 25, 2011
    it is interested to know if that works cause we have fire panels as training aid for students and the chips in them are GAL 16V8B which I have been ordering spares from UK as they are programmable none around AUS and NZ dealers but has to order from main manufacturer. I was thinking that a few years ago to build one but not sure, I mean should I put the programmed chip on get it read and then program a blank one not so sure how they work so I abandoned the idea as I ordered 6 spares as the students do smoke them out now and then (from faultfinding exercises).

6. Trungy

Trungy

Jun 6, 2011
    I work on a product line that has 5 PALs/GALs (we've found some of them to be interchangeable). Are there any PALs/GALs readers out there for those who want to know what programmed chips are doing?

Ask a Question