Connect with us

P2 Audio Switcher

Discussion in 'Audio' started by redfox465, Aug 19, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. redfox465

redfox465

Aug 19, 2014
    Hi Guys...

I want to build a P2 Audio Switcher where i can connect my stereo speaker and my headphone and change the output of my computer with a switch. Any schematics for that ?

2. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    What exactly do you want to do? You want a two-position switch, right? What do you want to happen in each position? Do you want to send your computer's audio output to either the line input on your stereo or your headphones?

It may be as simple as a double-pole or four-pole switch (rotary switches are often used) in a project box with some connectors on the back. You just need to define what you want the switch to do.

3. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
  4. redfox465

redfox465

Aug 19, 2014
    I want to put the switch in the position A and have the audio output directed only to the stereo speakers and then switch to position B and have the audio output directed only to the Headphones...

5. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    If you only want an A or B selection, you can use a Double Pole Double Throw switch.
    This will allow you to switch 2 signal lines (Left and Right Audio) with a single switch.

If you want more inputs, a different switch will be required.
    I found an exact example of what you want to do here: http://www.krisbarrett.com/?p=117

redfox465 likes this.
  6. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Although, personally I have both connected to my computer at the same time and I can choose through software which I want to use.

(Right Click sound Icon, Playback Devices, right-click desired device and set as default)
    I can also play my game through headphones and force Windows media player through speakers so my kid can watch Disney on my second display ;)

redfox465 likes this.
  7. KrisBlueNZ

KrisBlueNZ Sadly passed away in 2015

Nov 28, 2011
    I would also have both connected at the same time. When you want to use the speakers, take your headphones off, and select that input on the stereo or turn the volume up. When you want to use the headphones, turn the stereo volume down or select an unused input, and put the headphones on.

redfox465 likes this.
  8. redfox465

redfox465

Aug 19, 2014
    Thanks Guys :)

9. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    If you do the software method in windows it really really helps to name your inputs!
    Right click the playback device and select properties.

Ask a Question