Connect with us

Overpowered Aquarium lighting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by crispy345, Nov 14, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. crispy345

crispy345

Nov 14, 2011
    Hi! I have a aquarium , nearly identical to my fathers. One day, we installed a airpump, but it only broke one of the LED bulbs that was connected. So I borrowed my fathers lighting. So when I put it on the aquarium, I put on 20w bulbs instead of 10w. So the DC transformer broke. Now, I have the original lighting, but my dad wants to sell his one, and he NEEDS the lighting. The transformer is stuck (no DC plug) and I don''t know how to fix it.

Here are the specs :
    KTEC
    Model = KA23A120170016G
    INPUT:230V ~ 50hz 130mA
    output:12v ~1700mA

Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anybody know how to fix this?

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Those AC adaptors have built-in thermal fuses that would need to be replaced, but that's usually quite impossible to do so you'll have to just cut the wires and connect them to a new adaptor.

3. crispy345

crispy345

Nov 14, 2011
    So, should I just buy, like a 2A 12V adapter?:p Also, how do I know which wires is + and -:confused:

4. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Yes.. The output of the original adapter is AC, since it's only to power incandescent bulbs, so polarity doesn't even matter. You can use whatever you find in the shop.

5. crispy345

crispy345

Nov 14, 2011
    Do you have any links, stores, that sells these adaptors.I don't want to buy the wrong adapter...:)

6. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    So let me get this right, first I got to find where you're at, and then I have to figure out what electronic stores that are convenient for you... ;)
    Ok, what about Biltema, Clas Ohlson, Elfa, or maybe even Hemne Energi, Lunds Serviceverksted, or Waade Information System? (I don't know what the last 3 carries.)
    Look, anything resembling a radio/TV shop will have these, and any adapter that is 12V and at least 1.7A (20VA), AC or DC will do. It's really hard to go wrong.

Ask a Question