Connect with us

Oven Elements Going Bad

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by jacobbell, Dec 28, 2010.

1. jacobbell

jacobbell

Dec 28, 2010
    My bottom oven element has gone out twice in the past four years. I have no idea how old the first one was, but the second one (which is the first one I replaced) was 4 years old. The current one, which has just gone out, is only 2 months old. There are no signs of burning/holes/white spots/etc...it just stops working. We had the last one checked and it was confirmed that it was bad; we haven't had the current one checked yet. We purchased each element from different stores, so I don't think it's the element. What could be causing this problem?? Can it be repaired, or do I need to replace the oven?

Hotpoint Wall Oven, I believe it is original to the house (27 years old)

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    It's more likely that the present production is of a low quality than that the oven itself has some fault. I can't think of any oven faults at all that could damage the element.
    A lightning strike would be about the only thing that could damage a heating element.

3. LTX71CM

LTX71CM

May 23, 2010
    I've seen a few elements damaged by food spills but the failures were more than obvious.

Does anyone in the house have a cleaning problem? Constantly lifting, bumping, adjusting the element to clean around it? Seeing as how this is the only oven to give you trouble I'd suspect not. When the old element was tested, did it fail open or with a high(er) resistance? Does the oven cook "normally" without burning everything?

4. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Can you clean the contacts the element plugs into? If it's corroded, it may not be making
    good electrical contact with the new element.
    Frankly though, Resqueline is correct about low quality replacement parts from after-market
    vendors. I don't know much about heating elements for ovens, is it possible the elements
    you're replacing are rated for a lower wattage? Or that they have an upper and lower
    element available that run at different temperatures? Maybe the replacement is just
    not rated for your oven, or upper/lower element difference.

Ask a Question