Maker Pro
Maker Pro

out of work again :(

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
time for a rant !!!

Dont ya just love the hi flying corporate world and their total disregard for how it affects the average joe bloggs worker ? ;(

One again, due to total mismanagement at the highest levels, I find myself out of a job and looking for work again! Myself and another 40 odd staff nationwide have had our lives turned upsidedown by these overpaid and non-performing CEO's and boards of directors as the company goes into voluntary administration.
With the zillions of $$$ owed to creditors and only 1/2 of that owed to us from our debtors, I doubt that any form of administration is going to save the company from permanently shutting the doors :(

I really was hoping that this was going to be my last major place of employment through to my retirement. But as is the way in this world these days, nothing is a certainty any more and us workers are just pawns in the dogpile of life.
Am still at the workshop as I type this, dont even know if I will get paid for the previous 5 days of work ??.

Spent last night getting my resume up to date and sending it out to a couple of prospective employers in the A/V industry

cheers
Dave

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Sorry to hear that Dave :(. Not a fun position to be in.

Fingers crossed that you're back in employment ASAP!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I *love* voluntary administration.

When it happened to me, it turns out that the directors had been subsidising their lifestyle with my deductions (salary sacrifice super), whilst simultaneously withdrawing their equity (rather than drawing an income).

The practical upshot was that they got their money and I didn't get mine.

I hope they don't owe you anything. :(

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
What a f&^-up.
I'm really sorry to hear it Dave. It's the kind of crap that makes things bloody hard for everybody. I put it down to Greed, and try to hope that Greed is in its last days of power.
Is your main expertise in A/V? I have friends in Canberra I can ask...

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Thanks for the thoughts guys :)

its been a pretty stressful week with another one next week to follow
its like a long slow torturous death. Administrator saying there are possible buyers lined up for the various branches around OZ... Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane and NSW.
Melb office looks pretty screwed from the outset.

Yeah Steve, flaming boards of directors and CEO's etc. As you may be aware there is now a Govt dept called GEARS that garantees severance package money owed to workers. So if the administrators can find the funds to pay us then the govt will. it may take a while but at least it would eventually come. There would, for me, be ~ 9 weeks worth. I cant resign, I have to ride it out and be terminated if it comes to that, else I would miss out on that package. I cant afford to loose >$7000.

Yes poor mystic ... hey whay's ya first name ? would be nice to be able to refer to you by that :) bit more friendly and personal
yeah A/V and RF electronics is my forte :)

cheers
Dave

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Hey Dave!
I'm Mark, a Cairns resident and a kiwi.
Yo bro!
Mark

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hey Dave!
I'm Mark, a Cairns resident and a kiwi.
Yo bro!
Mark

pleased to meet ya Mark

haaha :) am an ex kiwi myself, been on this side of the tasman for 11.5 yrs now
originally from the Dunedin area. I'm one of the 1000's of ex telecom NZ staff that were made redundant shortly after corporatisation back in 1989

Dave

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Old Wellington trans tech myself, not that I stuck around long after qualifying. I went back to Telecom for a while in the early 90's but some people have steady lives with families, and others just aren't on that track at all.
Dunedin is the best city in the world btw

Last edited:

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
dave best of luck moving forward from here. i sincerely feel for you. I hope your next job pays well and lasts through.
phil

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Thank Phil :)

we should probably know by the middle of next week. I'm expecting Tues or Wed - 19/20th that the final work will be given.
Have a couple of possible opportunities lined up. but really need 1 or 2 probables :)

cheers
Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
woo hooo looks like I have scored a new job.
the final part of the process is next Monday morn I get flown to Brisbane to work with the techs in that office for 2 days and make sure I know what end of the soldering iron to hold onto hahaha
But it will be a great 2 day intro into the repairing of their technology

looking forward to my first trip to brissy, specially since its being paid for!!

cheers
Dave

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Congratulations.

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Great work Dave, hope it all goes well for you on Monday! :)

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
yes most excellent as you are moving closer to me lmao. mate best of luck with it, and hope you enjoy them as much as they will enjoy having you there.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
yes most excellent as you are moving closer to me lmao. mate best of luck with it, and hope you enjoy them as much as they will enjoy having you there.

just a 2 day trip mate, but I know there will be a 2 week training course in brissy in the near future

Dave

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Careful guys.
You are destroying 17 careful coats of polished cynicism.
If it's not exactly pretty (oh it in't) you can still acknowledge that a lot of work must have gone into that. Sniff.

A lesson for all: "You can get jobs in hard times by being a good guy (and knowing yr sh,,)".