Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Oscilloscopes

robertbarron

Jan 17, 2016
I have used the older oscilloscopes way back when and I decided I might buy one. I then saw a great deal of miniature hand held types on the web and would like some comments on them. I have spent a lot of time on the web and can find nowhere that sells them actually over a counter where I could look at them and ask questions. Maplins is the only local shop and they had little to offer.

Any comments from members who have experience of these newer types would be welcome. Also if anyone has a "cheap" double trace old type oscilloscope - I might be interested. I have seen several on the web that suited but they required a long journey to pick them up and without contact first I am not willing to travel distance to be disappointed.

The new one that has caught my eye is the SAINSMART DSO 202 note 2 which sells at best at around £66. This has some serious problems with only one lead provided (it is a two trace model!). Its operation has been difficult to assess and again any help in this area from members with experience would be appreciated.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
First thing you need to let us know is what are your going to measure with the scope ,what are the needs and requirements.
Can you define the above?

John Paul

Feb 24, 2016
Robert, you’re right.
There is nothing like handling a scope physically and then deciding for yourself. Instead of buying oscilloscopes online you could try electronic equipment rentals to get oscilloscopes for rent without hassles. Equipment rentals like TRS RenTelco rent & lease out electronic equipment and also have oscilloscopes on sale. You can compare and rent used oscilloscopes from top brands like Tektronix and Keysight. Rentals also might have older models available. If the equipment does not fit your needs or does not match your quality expectations, you can ship it back and return the item. Prices of brand-new oscilloscopes prevent users from trying them out and I think rentals are a great way, especially when they will ship the scope right to your home.