Connect with us

optical switching device

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Cyborg, Oct 30, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Cyborg

Cyborg

Oct 29, 2011
    I am interested in integrating an optical switching device into a motor project.
    The requirements are as follows:
    - The sensor must provide one output approximately 5v pulses of power depending on its exposure to light.
    -retro reflective capability or line of sight sensor.

Any help on how to hook (the device) up with a 7805 voltage regulator and a 24 volt power supply would be greatly appreciated.

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi cyborg
    welcome to the forums :)

have you a sensor in mind ?
    what is the lightsource that you want to use to operate the sensor ?
    what distance between the lightsource and sensor ?
    what sort of motor ? AC or DC?
    what is its power requirements ? ( the motor)

without knowing more about what you are trying to achieve its a tad difficult to give specific answers

Dave

3. Cyborg

Cyborg

Oct 29, 2011
    Thanks, and thank you for the reply,

The main purpose of me asking about this subject is that i have absolutely no idea how these things work ive tried photodiodes by driving them with a 5v regulator and a simple LED. they worked with an h bridge and then stopped working.

So basically I'm looking for preferably a self encapsulated sensor maybe an OPB620 to be the best option with infrared light that wont be disturbed.
    The retro reflective application can be adjustable but anywhere from a half inch to a 16th of an inch if you have any other suggestions.
    This is a dc motor. The 5v signals are used to controI an h-bridge or a solid state relay and I am also using a PWM. The power supply is 24 V.

thanks for your help

4. Cyborg

Cyborg

Oct 29, 2011
    using a photoselectric swtich

I have a new component which i picked up at an electronics store, a photoelectric switch. Although i have absolutely no idea how to use this, i can tell you it is a three pin connector with two wires on either side and two wires tied together in the middle. if you could explain the workings of one of these it would be greatly appreciated. the model is an omron E3F2-DS10C4-N i already know it can hook up to a 24 V power supply but i don't know how.

Ask a Question