Maker Pro
Maker Pro

optical sensors

dano83

Aug 1, 2012
I am working on a project to fix my dogs from jumping on the couch when i'm not home.

I am going to bolt a motor with a counter balance on it to the bottom of the couch and want to have optical sensors on the front of the couch so when they break the beam the motor starts vibrating like crazy.

I have a motor but can someone recommend which sensors would be the most economical?? The motor i plan to use is 1/3hp 110 ac

I thought about garage door sensors from home depot but i'm not sure those are the right kind for this project.

Thanks!!!

dano83

Aug 1, 2012
If someone can find anything on grainger that would be awesome because i get a discount there!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
there's plenty of ways to do it

Hi there Dano
welcome to the forums :)

one way tou be to use the PIR passive infrared ones as used in alarm systems
and mount it at one end of and beaming along the length of the couch.
They require ~ 12VDC and have a relay output that you could use to operate a solidstate relay rated for the mains voltage motor

Dave

dano83

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for the reply. From looking at them, it seems like the have a pretty wide viewing angle. I was kind of looking for something like a garage door sensor where it would be more like a narrow beam across the front with a reciever and transmitter so when the beam is broke the motor turns on.