Connect with us

Operation 'Sunshine'

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by bad.seed, Feb 16, 2011.

1. bad.seed

bad.seed

Feb 16, 2011
    Hi guys.

I'm planning on building a new aquarium for myself and was thinking I'd make some cool lighting. The general lighting will consist of standard T5 tubes but I want to incorporate simulated sun rays for a cool effect. So I'm thinking that if I can get 10 or so yellow laser pointers hooked up to the wall (230V) as opposed to constantly changing batteries that would be great.

I have very little experience with electronics unfortunately, but have a couple of friends who know about these things. I am eager to learn though.

How would I go about connecting the pointers in such a way? Are there lasers (or fitting lenses) where you can adjust the width of the beam- to widen them a little to make some beams wider and some narrower? Also, I'd appreciate your recommendeations to keep the price down (Saw some pointers that were $700 :S ).

Thanks again for your help, thoughts and recommendations.

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Where can you get yellow laser pointers from? ;)

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Being an aquarium owner myself , I shudder at the thought that you would even consider shining lasers into the tank. Unless you want a tankful of blinded fish banging into each other !! :(

Dave

4. Seismic

Seismic

Feb 13, 2011
    This was my first thought! Sounds a bit "Dr Evil" to me

... "All I want is sharks with frikkin' laser beams attached to their heads!"

5. bad.seed

bad.seed

Feb 16, 2011
    Who said there would be fish? I'm building it to aquascape, not to keep animals. It's an artistic thing.

Even if there would be fish the plan was to widen the beams to make them more diffuse, which reduces risk of eye injuries. Would you recommend something other than lasers for this project? The point is really to get that sun ray look.

6. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Huh, I've been sleeping in class, completly oblivious to that color in a pen laser, and so long ago.. I'm amazed, it seems to me it's a double conversion, double line laser.
    Kind of expensive though. Have you found any affordable ones? I had intended to get a cheap red+green and combine the beams to get yellow.
    Different collimating lenses will give different beamspreads, but the cost & complexity seems to me will be quite high.
    How about using a single warm-white power LED and simple shades to get the effect?

7. bad.seed

bad.seed

Feb 16, 2011
    Thanks for your helpful reply. No unfortunately I haven't found the downscale products of the yellow lasers... yet. If they're pretty new then maybe I'll have to wait for the prices to come down?

Yep, maybe leds are the better choise. By shades, do you mean the reflector? Are there reflectors that focus the light enough to appoximate a focused ray of light?

Thanks again.

8. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    I think it'll still be a long time for yellow's to go down in price since they employ "advanced" tecnology with the need for careful alignment.
    Lasers are really not more powerful than ordinary light sources, so when you need to spread them out it makes more sense to use a semi-focused LED source.
    There are accessory reflectors & lenses for LED's, and I was thinking a slotted shade in front of the LED source would mimic clouds and so give the ray effect.

9. bad.seed

bad.seed

Feb 16, 2011
    Thanks that sounds really cool. Would you have a link to where I can find such things?

10. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Picking (almost) at random here is a LED forum, and here is a shop with the products I had in mind.
    I'd figure it would be best to use a single LED source with a relatively narrow beam (90 degrees or less) from the LED itself, to get as sharp rays as possible.
    It would not be beneficial for your use to have a 20mm reflector around the LED for example, you want a point source.
    A lens close to the LED could be used to narrow the beam from a wide (180 degree) LED.
    A half-cylinder lens could then be used concentrate the circular beam into a fan-shaped beam for even better efficiency.

Ask a Question