Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Op amp/Zener voltage clamper problem

Satindas

Jan 7, 2012
I'm at the breadboard stage of a 4 channel Arduino cv quantizer which is all going pretty well so far except for one small problem which I can't solve.
The cv inputs need to be clamped to 5V and this is the circuit:

attachment.php

it simulates fine but on the breadboard even with nothing connected I get 0.27V at the output which is like messing up the whole thing. I've checked everything a zillion times and now my head hertz.
Please help :)

Attachments

• diode clamp.jpg
    diode clamp.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 4,850

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
As far a I can understand the max output voltage can be Vdd - 9.7V, and negative inputs are clipped. Otherwise the output follows the input.
I other words; the 5V clamping effect requires a regulated +/- 15V op-amp supply.
So, what's your power supply (a single 9V I guess?), and what op-amp are you using?

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
It appears there are two back-to-back diodes in series, so unless the opamp output exceeds 9 V there is nothing reaching the circuit output terminal except leakage from the '-' input terminal. Try disconnecting the diode from the opamp output and see if there is any variation in the 0.27 V.

Satindas

Jan 7, 2012
Thanks guys I got this sorted.....a duff TL074 screwed my weekend but I learnt much along the way. ;-)