Connect with us

op amp supply voltage

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by idranoels, Apr 15, 2016.

1. idranoels

idranoels

Apr 8, 2016
    Hello
    I was looking at some op amp datasheet and i noticed that it's only indicated maximum supply voltage.
    Does it mean that inside this range I could use an arbitrary voltage level?
    E.g. could I use +/- 1.5 volt as a power supply for a tl071 or a 741 op amp? If I want to use it to build an audio preamp could I loose something?
    Thank you

2. Kiwi

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
    From memory +5v to +15v is the preferred supply voltage for the 741.

3. idranoels

idranoels

Apr 8, 2016
    5532 is +/-5v?

4. Herschel Peeler

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
    Another thing to watch is the range of input and output voltages. The LM741 does not work well within a volt or two of the power rails. So trying to run it at +/- 1.5 V is impossible. Even from +/- 5 V you may only get a signal of +/- 3 V in or out. I don't know off hand what the TL071 is like, I suggest something in CMOS, rail-to-rail in and out (RRIO) is good, but you pay for it.

(edited to add ...)
    Looking at the TL071 graphs it shows maximum output also being almost 2 V below the voltage rails, much like the LM741.
    AD820 or MCP6021 are rail-to-rail types.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    duke37 likes this.
Ask a Question