Connect with us

Onkyo TX-SR578 doesnot power on

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by shumifan50, Jun 8, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. shumifan50

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
    I have this Onkyo TX-SR578 and while watching TV one night, there was a loudish bang on the one speaker and the unit died. I downloaded the service manual, which is quite comprehensive, but it assumes you can power on the unit to take various voltage readings and check signals. However, it seems the protection circuit kicks in immediately at power on, waits a very short while and switches on to immediately switch off again. So using the service manual is not possible. These AVRs have a bad reputation for blown HDMI boards (which is easily accessable), but the way it blew up seemed more like a channel blowing up(back right surround channel). To get to the power amp is a nightmare as it is the very bottom PCB, so I would like to check the HDMI board first. The question is: Is it safe to unplug the HDMI board and trying to power on or could this blow other circuitry? would the protection circuit detect that the HDMI board has been removed or do these circuits normally just protect against over voltage/over current?

As a side note: I would not recommend Onkyo AVRs to anybody. I have 2; the one has just blown up and the other one has a dickey display (bad connection on the display board, but again very difficult to get to.
    I have replaced the last one with a Yamaha V681 and that is awesome so far (less than a week). Hope it lasts better, but the sound is much more clear than the Onkyo and these new AVRs are networked giving access to internet radio and can be used like a media centre. I suppose there is much more to go wrong: bluetooth, wifi, ethernet, lots of codecs and corresponding processors. We will see how it goes.

Ask a Question