Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Onkyo TX-SR309 HDMI Receiver

de919191

Apr 26, 2014
Hi,

My Onkyo TX-SR309 HDMI receiver has died. Apparently it's a problem with the HDMI board, and googling around has told me that Onkyo used a bunch of rubbish capacitors and this is a known issue. Predictably, my set is just out warranty and the figure to fix it that I have been quoted is more than it would cost me to get a new receiver.

I have found detailed info on repairing other types of boards and I think I know what I need to do to solve this. There are five capacitors that I hope are the right ones to change. I don't know if this will work but I can't make things worse!

Unfortunately, I can't quite figure out the ratings for the capacitors. I hope someone can help me out by letting me know what the ratings on the capacitors are. There are some photos below (apologies for the poor quality but I don't want to unplug anything until I'm ready to go as I'll lose track of what plugs back in where) and the markings read:

b1p
6v

and

a4
16v

Am I right in thinking that they are 470uF 6v and 100uF 16v? I read another guide that suggested that they would be 47pF and 10pF.

Thanks,

David

Attachments

• photo1 (1).jpg
    photo1 (1).jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 432
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 443

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Definitely uF

But can you explain the symptoms of its death? Is everything working except what comes/goes via the HDMI port (no idea if there's anything else, so this may be a tricky question to answer)?

de919191

Apr 26, 2014
Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay replying!

I have had a fiddle around and other inputs (other than HDMI) work. If I connect a USB device then the sound works and the screen displays the normal menu. It is only the HDMI inputs that don't seem to work. All audio out seems ok, so I reckon that it's just the HDMI inputs.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well that seems to be a reasonable confirmation that the fault is on the HDMI board.

If you're going to replace those capacitors, bear in mind that they are surface mount and that there are many smaller surface mount components nearby. If you use a hot air rework tool, you risk dislodging nearby components. If you're lucky, the end of the leads for these capacitors will be accessible to a fine tip soldering iron and you may be able to slightly lift one side, then the other, then back to the first side, and so on until you can left the component free. You need to be careful not to tear the tracks off the board.

Be sure to note the orientation of the part before you remove it in case there are no polarity indications on the board.

If you have any old electronics with similar capacitors fitted (an old motherboard perhaps) then I would strongly advise you having a go on something that is already waste before you tackle something important.

de919191

Apr 26, 2014
Now that's an idea. I have an old desktop upstairs that I'm never going to use again. I'll disassemble that first.