Connect with us

One switch to rule them all

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by bujaman, Aug 5, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. bujaman

bujaman

Apr 26, 2016
    I am working on a home theater system and I have 2 motors that I would like to control with one switch. The projection screen has an AC motor, while the lift controlling the projector uses a DC motor. Is it possible to wire up both of these motors to be powered by one rocker switch? I have been sketching ideas on how to do it and keep hitting a wall. General thoughts of mine to this point is providing AC power to a box with the switch, DC power supply, and relay, but I am not sure if this is a) the correct direction to go, b) the simplest solution, and c) a wise thing to do. If there are any thoughts out there, I would love to hear them. Thanks.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    A switch with multiple poles can be used. This means the DC and AC can be kept separated.

3. Sunnysky

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
    DPST. Relay is the way to go. ratings depend on your specs.

(*steve*) likes this.
  4. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Are both the screen AC motor and the supply for the DC motor powered from the mains?

(*steve*) likes this.
  5. bujaman

bujaman

Apr 26, 2016
    Yes, they are.

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yeah, the above answers hint at the switch being used to control the DC and the DC controlling a relay to switch the AC...

And

Switching the AC (mains) which is also used to power your DC power supply.

Both are good ways of keeping the (presumably) high voltage AC safely isolated from the (presumably) low voltage DC.

7. bujaman

bujaman

Apr 26, 2016
    Great, thanks for the advice on the double pole switches!

Ask a Question