Maker Pro
Maker Pro

on the 741 OpAmp

mbyamukama

Apr 5, 2011
Hello All. I know that the output (amplified) of a practical amplifier cannot go beyind that of its power supply. I need to know if an input of 12V to a 741 with a supply voltage of 5V will damage the opAmp or if I will just get my 5V out without any trouble. I have a circuit in which the input to the opAmp is overridden (from -370mV to 12V), and I just want a stable +3V ouput from it. On that note, kindly inform on how I can ALWAYS have a positive voltage at the output of the opAmp. It is currently connected in an inverting configuration.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Check the absolute maximums section in the specs for the 741. It will tell you *exactly* how far you can push it.

Read Note 4 on page 3 or 4 of this in conjunction with the absolute maximum ratings..

mbyamukama

Apr 5, 2011
Thanks steve. Just please inform on how I can ensure a STABLE POSITIVE voltage at the output

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you reference the output voltage to the most negative supply rail then it will always be positive. I suspect that is not what you want however.

If the input is positive and you want a positive output (with respect to your 0v rail) then you need a non-inverting amplifier.

I'm not sure what you mean by "stable". The output voltage will vary with the input voltage. If it doesn't, then there's no point in having the input at all.