Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Omnichord Battery Terminal Problem

marktisaac

Mar 23, 2014
Hey everyone! So I've got this problem, and figured I'd use the guidelines posted in the sticky thread. I have tried cleaning the springs, and it didn't really work. So I was hoping someone could tell me 1)how to repair this issue 2)where to purchase spare parts for this job.

0) What is the device. Obvious maybe, but people have forgotten to mention. Is it a TV, an external hard drive, an alarm system, or what? Make and model is appropriate where known. (Also how old is it. If it's still under warranty this may suggest an alternative response).

The item here is an OM-84 Suzuki Omnichord It is about 25-30 years old and is no longer under warranty.

1) What is the fault -- "Not working" is not helpful. Saying that the power light goes on, then immediately goes off again when you try to tun it on is VERY helpful.

Everything about the item works. The only trouble I'm having is with the battery connections. As you can see from the photos they are terribly corroded. The item works with an AC adapter, but I'd like to make the system portable again and fix the battery connections.

2) History of the fault. Did this happen suddenly? Has it been happening for a while, but now happens all the time? Does it begin to work after several tries?

I bought this item used, and at a great price so I didn't mind that the battery connections were so terrible. But, this has been happening since I received the item (and probably long before that.)

3) Actions unspecified in the manual. Has it been dropped, dunked, spilt over, left in the sun, left without ventilation, had the wrong plugpack fitted, etc.

While I have had the item, no harm has come to it, but I'm assuming the previous owner had left batteries in the Omnichord and let them corrode.

4) Does anything look or smell burnt? Look on both sides of printed circuit boards and look at the board too.
nothing smells burnt.

5) Do any components look "wrong". An example might be something having a different or uneven colour compared to similar components, or components leaning over when others are all upright, or, well, anything unusual.

Springs for battery connection.

6) PHOTOS -- Please give us some good photos of any areas obviously affected.

https://flic.kr/p/mn6P47

https://flic.kr/p/mn4VhK

https://flic.kr/p/mn4Wp4

https://flic.kr/p/mn6SkY

https://flic.kr/p/mn4Ysc

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Mark
welcome to the forums :)

Yup well the battery terminals are really badly corroded
and probably no amount of cleaning is going to get them to a reliable working condition
Battery holders are available from various electronics parts suppliers. I would suggest buying one with the number of contacts you need and remove those contacts and place them into your unit. glue them in if necessary, sulder the wires on and get your unit working

here's one example to give you an idea

This will probably be the easiest and cheapest way to do the repair

cheers
Dave

PS ... just a thought .... the older style battery holders had the plate and spring contacts that would slide out of slots on the holder ... more similar to what is in your unit ... you may want to look around for some old ... 10 - 20yrs battery powered gear to find that style of contacts :)

Last edited:

marktisaac

Mar 23, 2014
Thanks for the welcome!

Does it matter that I can not find a battery cell holder that holds x8 C batteries? The largest I could find was one that held x6 C batteries. Would that be okay? Also, I don't think there is a way to remove the current plastic battery holder, is there a way to remove it without damaging the omnichord?

I will absolutely look around for old battery powered electronics! Thats a great idea.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Ah, the old Omnicord (the venerable predecessor of the Bambleweeny 67 sub-meson brain).

It looks to me (initially) like the battery clips are badly corroded.

My first step would be to get something abrasive and file the ends that connect to the batteries so there is some shiny metal. See if that helps.

If this fixes the issue then you *may* have to replace the spring clips if they're really badly corroded, but often this isn't required.

The corrosion is also evident on some screws, so there is a possibility that the other side of the board may be affected.

More likely (but again not certain) the wires leading to the battery springs may now have a bad connection. This is not likely if they are soldered on and if they are soldered to the same piece of metal that eventually becomes the battery terminal. If there is another join there, check that out.

Also be careful not to let all the dust from the corroded terminals get into the electronics if you can help it.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
you dont have to remove the existing plastic holder the battery terminals are on small bits of PCB that slide into the ends of the holder

which is why I did the PS statement in my other post

cheers
Dave

marktisaac

Mar 23, 2014
Ah, the old Omnicord (the venerable predecessor of the Bambleweeny 67 sub-meson brain).

It looks to me (initially) like the battery clips are badly corroded.

My first step would be to get something abrasive and file the ends that connect to the batteries so there is some shiny metal. See if that helps.

If this fixes the issue then you *may* have to replace the spring clips if they're really badly corroded, but often this isn't required.

The corrosion is also evident on some screws, so there is a possibility that the other side of the board may be affected.

More likely (but again not certain) the wires leading to the battery springs may now have a bad connection. This is not likely if they are soldered on and if they are soldered to the same piece of metal that eventually becomes the battery terminal. If there is another join there, check that out.

Also be careful not to let all the dust from the corroded terminals get into the electronics if you can help it.

What part are the battery clips? and since the springs are so badly corroded will it affect the batteries at all? How should I check the other side of the omnichord without damaging the board? I'm so incredibly bad with electronics, i'd hate to ruin it.

marktisaac

Mar 23, 2014
you dont have to remove the existing plastic holder the battery terminals are on small bits of PCB that slide into the ends of the holder

which is why I did the PS statement in my other post

cheers
Dave

I can't seem to find a place that sells those, what should I search for?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I can't seem to find a place that sells those, what should I search for?

no you probably wont
that's why I suggested you could cut the ends out of a purchased holder and insert
them into the slots

Dave