Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Omega special character

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I knw, we've had the discussion, I'm just too blind to find it.

What again is the way to insert an Omega special character instead of writíng Ohm ever time?

Thanks
Harald

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
I'm looking in to an easy way to add these popular buttons to the editor - I tried a while back but couldn't find an easy way, but I'll revisit this and see if it is possible :).

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Character codes 128~255 are sometimes called "high ASCII" codes. They can be entered (on PCs at least) by holding the Alt key and typing the number on the numeric keypad, then releasing the Alt key - "Alt-keypad" entry.

The "extended ASCII" characters listed at www.asciitable.com are the high-ASCII characters used by native ROM-based text video modes on the PC family. They include the box-drawing and background shading characters, which only work properly with monospaced fonts. This character mapping is not used by modern systems.

High ASCII character numbers have various character mappings depending on the character set used.

The following "high ASCII" characters seem to enter and display OK with XenForo for me (I'm running Firefox under Windows 7):

158 × multiplication symbol (little 'x' above the line)
230 µ mu/micro (Greek mu character)
241 ± plus/minus (plus sign with horizontal line joined along the bottom)
248 ° degrees (small 'o' near top of line)
250 · multiplication dot (small dot above the line)
251,253,252 ¹²³ superscript 1,2,3 (or you can use [SUP]1[/SUP], [SUP]2[/SUP] instead)

For me, typing Alt-keypad 234 produces Û which shows (for me) as an upper case U with a caret or circumflex. I can't get an Omega symbol using Alt-numberpad on my machine. Byt pyromaniac's Omega symbol in post #2 shows up as an Omega symbol for me. So there must be at least one level of translation happening.

After a bit of research I've found that the character set used by XenForo appears to be UTF-8 - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8. This encoding standard uses 2-byte and longer sequences to represent most "special" characters and covers the full Unicode character set.

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega the upper case Omega (ohms symbol) corresponds to a UTF-8 encoding of 206,169. But when I enter those codes using Alt-keypad I just get ╬® - a box-drawing character and a registered trademark symbol!

Reactions: Ian

pyromaniac4382

Feb 7, 2013
Darn if only I googled every possibility. You could also click the special character in the windows menu of the on screen keyboard that seems like a hassle though.

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
Obviously the best answer is for XenForo to provide a drop-down menu of Greek characters and other useful non-ASCII characters. In case it's useful, here's a list of non-ASCII characters that I use (or have used):

Various Greek characters, including mu (230); plus-minus (241); multiplication (158); division; less than or equal to; greater than or equal to; approximately equal to; not equal to; proportional to; square root; cube root; infinity; degrees (248); therefore; tick mark ("correct"); cross mark ("incorrect").

Beyond that, you get into the realm of real formulas, which really have to be displayed as graphics. I don't think that's needed much.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Thanks for the answers. I had tried to copy Ω from the windows character table - to no avail. ALT234 works, Û doesn't.

KrisBlueNZ

Nov 28, 2011
What OS and web browser are you running, Harald?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Typically I use internet explorer on Win 7. Sometimes firefox, firefox behaves the same as internet explorer with regard to Ω. When copied from the character table, Ω becomes W. I'm fine with using ALT+code, used to use this method years ago.

pyromaniac4382

Feb 7, 2013
Is it an OS translation or a keyboard driver? Ω I am using Windows 7, DELL keyboard with standard driver, and Google Chrome. My ALT code works whether I am in notepad, word, or typing here on the forum.

Also I checked in the keyboard settings my default language is (US) English, not sure if that makes a difference.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    16 KB · Views: 324

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
The forum software supports UTF-8 (maximum compatibility with ASCII) as Kris said but our computer operating sytems and browsers are often mapped for UTF-16 (more characters) so that may be the crux of the problem.

I've seen two different Omega symbols in some character sets as well; one the Greek capital letter and the other a slightly different looking ohms symbol.

pyromaniac4382

Feb 7, 2013
I think I found a way to figure out the HEX code translation you need. If in windows click Start and type "charmap". The program you need to run is charmap.exe. Within this program find the OHM symbol. At the bottom of the program you will see a HEX code in parenthesis. Mine is 0xEA which conviniently is 234 in decimal! So find the symbol, and convert the code the decimal, and try that ALT code!

Attachments

• Ohm.PNG
    Ohm.PNG
    32.8 KB · Views: 10,760
Reactions: Ian

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Funny, on my other computer, also Win 7 + Internet explorer ALT234 = Û, not Omega...