Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Older ADT? alarm system, can't find wiring diagram

jackmup101

Jan 11, 2011
Hey folks, I'm hoping that someone out there can help me. My company has an older alarm system that we removed from our old building, and we're trying to hook it up in our new location, unfortunately the wiring diagram I made when I was taking it out has gone missing, and I haven't been able to find anything on the internet.

i know its a 7188-028 system, but i just don't remember what hooks up to the various connections on the main PCB, see picture:
IMG_0038.JPG

There is a wiring diagram on the inside of the box, but doesn't help me at all.
IMG_0030.JPG

More and higher resolution pictures can be found HERE.

Does anyone have any ideas where i can find information? Or a wiring scheme for the 1-20 connections? Any help would be appreciated.

coiley

Jan 21, 2011
Where's the power supply (wall wart)? 12VAC? or DC?

Where's the back-up battery (12V/7ishAH)?

Where's the box?

What do you have for devices: door switches, PIRs, glass-break, etc.?

Is this just security? or is it fire/smoke/ror too? If so, what are your fire devices? Any CO or gas-leak?

Do you have a handful of identical resistors that you harvested from the board and/or devices?

-- coiley

coiley

Jan 21, 2011
same

Mount your box on a wall.

Mount your board in the box.

Route power to the board.

Your wall-wart can be AC. It goes on terminal strip 3&4 - no polarity. Use #18 wire or better.

Your back-up battery goes on terminals 1&2. Polarity is relevant. Battery + (positive, red) goes to terminal 1. Battery - (negative, black) goes to terminal 2.

Incidentally, obviously, when you want to power-down, you must disconnect both sources of power.

-- coiley

Last edited:

coiley

Jan 21, 2011
Need the answers about your devices now.

Also, what do you have for wire? You need 2-conductor ~#22 for passive security devices, e.g. switches. You need 4-conductor (2-power and 2-switch) ~#22 for active devices: PIR, multi-tech-motion, glass-break, etc.

For fire devices #18 is often spec'd. Passive fire devices can run on 2-wire. Some active fire devices are 2-wire, some are 4-wire. Do you have fire devices? If so, describe them.

-- coiley

Last edited:

coiley

Jan 21, 2011
What do you have for a horn/siren device? Indoor siren? outdoor siren? outdoor siren w/tamper?

-- coiley

coiley

Jan 21, 2011
Ok, my brain is catching up here.

This is most likely a programmable board - either by PROM (unlikely), or (more likely) via proprietary PC software&system-keypad.

If you can not specifically remember what the security-system zones were used for at the previous installation - yer dark-brown toast. Someone probably came to your site and programmed the security system from a laptop with exclusive proprietary software. IF you had a VERY SIMPLE system THAT YOU CAN REMEMBER, we could make simple, logical, intuitive guesses about the zones and programming on your board. Otherwise, you are very much at the mercy of the institution that programmed your board. The business is designed to lock you in. ;-)

All is not lost though. If you have the intrusion devices, a power-supply, and a horn-driver - you can make a whole lot of scary noise (without the ADT board) with a single loop if someone violates your space. Aside from this, without being able to fiddle with your board in person, you are mostly at the mercy of a greedy local professional.

Mean dogs work too. But they actually prove to cost more than electronic security.