Connect with us

old view finder

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by dantheelectronicsman, Jan 17, 2010.

1. dantheelectronicsman

dantheelectronicsman

Jan 17, 2010
    Hi everyone. I recently stumbled across an old video camera with one of those CRT viewfinders and i have been trying to figure out how to hook it up to an external source. I got a component signal to it from a DVD player but the signals rolls to one side and the bottom is cut off and you can see the bottom on the top there's also tons of random horizontal lines across the screen. I'm sure of where i grounded it and i really cant figure out what I'm doing wrong. Anyway if anyone has any suggestions or has tried this before i would really appreciate some advice.

2. kyjosh

kyjosh

Dec 15, 2009
    I'm probably wrong, but I'm not sure you can just hook something like that up to an external source. Your source is going to be feeding in its native resolution, expecting the end device to scale the video to fit, but I doubt that little view finder actually has a scaler built in.

3. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Locating a circuit diagram for the original camera would help of course. The viewfinder requires either a composite -, or a pure video signal with separate syncs (this to save the space needed for a sync separator).
    When you say component signal, do you actually mean composite signal? I ask because there are several standards nowadays, and I'm not so sure modern DVD's have such simple (low-grade) signal outputs as composite video any more.

Ask a Question