Connect with us

old laptop

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by foTONICS, Sep 22, 2012.

1. foTONICS

foTONICS

Sep 30, 2011
    so i have this laptop that recently went past its prime. if i wanted to harvest the hard drive out of it to use as an external drive can i just pull it out or is it more complicated than that, does it need to be specially formatted?

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi generally the drives are pretty standard, electronics/computer shops should be able to supply you with the patch lead with the appropriate connections to go from the laptop 3.5" drive to a standard drive connector or even to a SATA port. there's nice little SATA adaptors available for quite small prices

You should be able to view the drive on another computer as a slave drive.
    chances are there are jumper pins on the drive to set for master and slave just as with the larger drives

Dave

3. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    recently I got a $20 case of ebay cos I needed to get some data of some hard drives, it was so simple, just get out the hard drive, plug it in and connect to computer.
    the file format won't be an issue as it will be fat32 or ntfs if it was windows and windows can read them both easily.

4. foTONICS

foTONICS

Sep 30, 2011
    so as far as connecting this goes. There is no jumper pin that lets me choose between slave and master, would this be a problem? I have attached some photos for reference. should i be storing this thing in a anti static bag or are they pretty resilient?

Attached Files:

5. rob_croxford

rob_croxford

Aug 3, 2010
  6. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    The hard drive you have is a SATA, what rob_croxford linked would work, though if you dont need anything that fancy I use something like this, I also gutted an old external drive that died and just use that SATA connection with another cable.
    Unless you have a lot of static producing things (motors, fans, etc) or anything magnetically driven (e.g. speakers) you dont really need to worry about storing them or keeping them away from static, most external drives have no shielding whatsoever so getting an enclosure (more expensive but fairly permanent) wont gain you much in that sense

Ask a Question