Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Old lamp from the 70's

junkyard

Feb 18, 2014
Hey everyone,

I have this old lamp from the 70's that was in a fire and my girlfriends dad has been using it for probably 10 years. The lamp from what I understand has always flickered and sometimes the bulbs would dim. So I decided I would try to rebuild it for him.

Well I have been searching the internet to try and find answers and how-to's and anything else I can find. but the one thing I am missing is where do I find replacement parts and how do I know that what I am getting is a suitable replacement.

What I have found so far is that there are two magnetic chokes that have this written on them:
UNIVERSAL
MFG. CORP.
CAT. NO. 201-D
15W 118V 60CY

and one possibly a capacitor with a 3.7Mohm resistor between the leads
with this written on the bottom:
C-800 AEROVOX

I have tried searching for what is written on the parts but have had no luck finding more than just a manufacturer website for aerovox but the other numbers are either outdated part numbers or something else.

oh and the lamp uses 2x T8 bulbs

thanks for any help

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I am not familiar with 120V fluorescent lamps but if the circuit is the same as for 230V, the capacitor is just to provide a good power factor and the lamp will work without it. The resistor is to discharge the capacitor when the lamp is turned off for safety.

The choke that you have pictured looks to be burned out. You may be able to find some generic ones for the lamps that you have. Chokes can fail or become noisy so spares should be available.

You will need to specify
Lamp type (length diameter)
Voltage
Frequency
Power (per lamp)

Note, chinese chokes may well be designed for higher voltage and 50 Hz so be careful if you buy from there.

T8 is diameter in eighth inches i.e. 1 inch

Last edited: