Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Old Guitar Effect Buttons Won't work

Firefly36

Oct 2, 2011
Hey,
I received an old guitar multieffect, called the Zoom 505 II.
The buttons used to change the effects work very seldom, and even when they do I still need to press them really hard, so I opened it up thinking maybe there a problem with the plastic panel which is on top of the button. When that didn't work either I came here.

Pics:
2hn2xr6.jpg

11cf4eb.jpg

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Tactile switches

Hi Firefly36.
I don't know fully the extent, or even understand what that bit of kit is.
What i do know is a friend approached me telling me his game controller had problems.

Your situation might be different, so i opened the game controller, tested the tactile switches which had an intermittent contact fault, only to ways this could have gone, switches worn out, or coating oxide on the contact surfaces, tarnish dirt etc.

So a spray of solvent switch cleaner whilst actuating the buttons, test again and switches where making good contact. A very pleased friend, back to his gaming.

Not saying this will cure your problem, but its where to start if control buttons are causing faults.

Ive also seen and cleaned under mobile phone touch contact pads for the same problem, although not tactile switches, the key pad works on the same principle.

Some thing to try first, and check solder connections on the switch bases, harsh treatment breaks solder joints.
Dave. :)
PS. little known top tip, talcum powder, deodorant, other sprays fine particles find there way into every thing, the compounds are microscopic, propellent puts it every where. This applies to a lot of electronic faults, optical equipment potentiometers, switches, and loads of other devices.

Last edited:

MattyMatt

Mar 24, 2011
Have you tried playing with the switches themselves (like not using the plastic top piece) and get the same results?

If so I would suggest replacing the switches, I've done some work on stuff like these before, there is nothing special about the switch, and that's part of the problem.... the case is not really designed to take away a lot of the force that people generally put on those little switches.

I would suggest de-soldering one of those switches, measuring it out with a pair of calipers or very accurate tape measure, and going to one of the major distributors sites (mouser/digikey/RS... i'm sure you get the idea). I'm sure you will find a comparable switch, if not something better. Go for something heavy duty if you can.

Just remember, height, and leg-spacing are pretty important in this application, your width may be too.... i can't tell from the pic if there is stuff that is really close to the switches.