Connect with us

old extension amp to guitar amp

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by phil.m, Mar 26, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. phil.m

phil.m

Mar 26, 2013
    hi.
    i have an old murphy radio extension speaker cab amp. that i would like to convert for use with an electric guitar.
    bearing in mind that i am an electronics virgin.
    could you adise on the best way to tackle this project please
    thanks phil.
    i have attached 2 jpegs. as you will see it is a tube amp.
    i dont know what other info to give to help you to help me.
    so in the first instance i'm hoping for questions.
    thanks
    phil

Attached Files:

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Personally, I would replace the amp with something for a few bucks off Ebay.

Edited. If you insist on using this amp, you probabably need only to add a preamp. Google "guitar preamp" for ideas.

Bob

3. phil.m

phil.m

Mar 26, 2013
    thanks for the reply bob. i do have other amps but i live in a flat with thin walls and ceilings so have trouble getting tone out of my other amps at low volumes. so would like to give this a try.
    my pics are blurry so will add some more with a bit more detail soon. i need to understand this circuit, but to ypu it dosent look as though there is any pre amp. guess that makes sense..

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Have you verified that the amp works at all? Will you get sound out if you connnect the amp's input to the out of an MP3 or CD player? It is likely designed for that kind of a level in. A guitar puts out a much lower signal, more like a microphone.

Ask a Question