Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Old data books

Paxee

Sep 19, 2011
I am a retired EE with a well-developed packrat complex. As a result, I have many boxes of semiconductor and other data books going back to the 1970's and even earlier. I need ths space, so they have to go. Would anyone want them, or is old data so well-archived on the internet so that my old hard copies are fodder for the recycler ? I'm in San Leandro, CA if anyone is interested.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'm interested.
I don't know how to connect with you to trade information, maybe Resqueline or somebody
can give me tips on getting personal info from you.
I've got my oldest boy in Mountain View. I could get him to pick them up if I know
where to point him.
How many boxes are we talking about. Can he get them into a compact car, or is
this a big collection?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Just emailed my son. He can make a run up to San Leandro sometime this weekend
if you want to give them away. He can get them to me (I live in AZ).

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I'm sure those old data books contains a lot of info that has not made it on the net (yet) so I'd say they deserve to be taken care of.
You can just send each other a PM (klick on Private Messages, upper righ) to exchange contact info.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Thanks Resqueline.
I repair a lot of 1970's/80's test and measurement instruments.
Most manufacturers stopped printing data books, and put their new specs on-line.
VERY few of them went back to put their OLD part data on-line.
And a lot of the old part manufacturers either went out of business or were bought
by other entities. The old data books are like gold to me and people I know.
Paxee, I'm using the 'Private Messages' block to try to send you my info.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
or is old data so well-archived on the internet so that my old hard copies are fodder for the recycler?

Aaaagh! NO!

Some of this stuff just seems to disappear. I have components that were manufactured up to the late 90s where the datasheets have vanished into the ether.

If I were less than 18 hours of flights away from you, I'd be around to collect them personally.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
*steve*, us yanks were one of the first, of the colonies too.

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
Another thing to consider is to give them to a place that is archiving old information by converting it to digital form, then making it freely available for everyone. IIRC, there's someone up in Berkeley doing that just around the corner from you. I look back on the file cabinets of information I collected over the decades and either gave away or threw out. Sadly, that information is likely gone forever. There are some folks who do believe it should be archived for posterity.

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Yay for someone from Berkeley! We need more archivists like that one!

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Yeah, and daddles post must have helped.
Haven't heard a peep from Paxee since I replied.
I hope SOMEBODY gets the data books if I can't.
I'm ok with archivists at Berkley, it's them anarchists I worry about.

Last edited: