Connect with us

Oil level monitoring project using capacitance level sensor

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by Russfireball, Mar 26, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Russfireball

Russfireball

Mar 25, 2013
    good afternoon all

As you Can see i am new to this forum so go easy on me!

I am currently in the process of designing a project for an oil tank level monitoring system using a capacitance level sensor. The level sensor provides a continuous variable voltage output between 0-5v. (5v tank full 0v tank empty). i need to use a circuit to sound an alarm when the oil level in the tank stops dropping, so in other words when the voltage level remains constant for a certain amount of time. can anyone shed any light on an IC capable of this?

Russ

2. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Welcome to EP Russ,

I'm assuming this is a large tank. So, I'm also assuming that this voltage drops very slowly. How long does the alarm delay have to be? A 555 timer works well for short delays measured in seconds. Longer delays and freedom of how to sense this is best performed by a programmable microcontroller chip.

If this is an industrial project or beyond your abilities we have a member CocaCola.... yes that's his real name! :p Anyway if you and he have a meeting of the mind$ he will design, program and and build it for you. ;)

Chris

Ask a Question