Connect with us

Ohms Law: Electrical Safety Question

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by SkeetX, Jan 20, 2004.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. SkeetX

    SkeetX Guest

    I am just starting in electronics, and in a book I was reading it said
    that a car spark plug could definatly give me a lethal dose of
    electricity, even at 12 volts. I'm still having a little trouble
    understanding it, but even if there are 50Amps of current behind that
    plug, doesn't my body have enough resistance to block a 12 volt
    charge? Could someone explain this to me?

    Thanks in advance!
    Chris
     
  2. It is very difficult to to receive a dangerous shock directoy from a
    12 volt source, for the body resistance reason you mention. But an
    ignition circuit pumps that 12 volts up to a thousand or so volts, and
    that voltage has no problem driving a dangerous current through your
    bodies resistance. Even on the primary side of the ignition coil,
    there are pulses of several hundred volts that hurt like blazes. A
    few milliamps across your chest (hand to hand) have a risk of sending
    your heart into fatal fibrillations.
     
  3. Norm

    Norm Guest

    The spark plug= Sparks High Voltage not 12V therefore it will hurt. 12V DC
    or AC can be used as source (in a circuit) and generate a higher voltage
    that can also hurt.
     
  4. Ian Bell

    Ian Bell Guest

    A car spark plug is not 12 volts. Ths ignition caoil steps it up to several
    thousand volts and that can certianly kill you.

    Ian
     
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day

-