Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Ohm resistance controller

sowjourner

May 14, 2016
I'm looking for a simple ohm resistance controller that will actuate a servo or linear actuator, as in a cruise control system controller. A simple on/on which also acts as the "set" function, is all that's needed. Miniature is also helpful. 12VDC is the initial source.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Oooh! "A simple ohm resistance controller." What is that, perzactly? Can you post a schematic showing how it is used in a circuit?

I have cruise control on my vehicles, but it is just a button I press after turning cruise control on by momentarily pressing an ON button. If I hold the button down the vehicle accelerates. When I release the button the vehicle cruises at whatever its speed was when the button was released. And there is another button along side of it that one that I can press to slow down, and when that button is released the vehicle cruises at the lower speed. And there is a third button next to the first two that will resume the last speed setting if I temporarily disengage cruise control by tapping the brake pedal. Will your "simple ohm resistance controller" replace this functionality?

sowjourner

May 14, 2016
Oooh! "A simple ohm resistance controller." What is that, perzactly? Can you post a schematic showing how it is used in a circuit?

I have cruise control on my vehicles, but it is just a button I press after turning cruise control on by momentarily pressing an ON button. If I hold the button down the vehicle accelerates. When I release the button the vehicle cruises at whatever its speed was when the button was released. And there is another button along side of it that one that I can press to slow down, and when that button is released the vehicle cruises at the lower speed. And there is a third button next to the first two that will resume the last speed setting if I temporarily disengage cruise control by tapping the brake pedal. Will your "simple ohm resistance controller" replace this functionality?

Yes and no. As I stated originally: on/off only. When on, it should read initial resistance and maintain that reading. As with a normal cruise control, it should activate a servo to compensate for both plus and minus readings so as to maintain the initial resistance reading

Last edited by a moderator:

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
A clarification please. Do I understand correctly that this will be an automobile cruise control?

Chris

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
What wheel/road speed sensor do you have?
What sort of servo?
Can you program a MCU to handle input/output signals?

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
I'm making one for my bike from scratch
Oops this topic may be treading on thin ice. I'll leave that decision to the mods and let others test the ice.

Chris

sowjourner

May 14, 2016
What wheel/road speed sensor do you have?
What sort of servo?
Can you program a MCU to handle input/output signals?
Sorry, was traveling. I'm a newbie researching and planning and executing. I would anticipate taking the resistance reading from the sensor lead going to the speedometer. I was thinking that would be the simplest. Then lock in whatever reading it sent and hold it via step motor servo. Again, I am just starting on the project and have to find the benchmark to start from. I have devised how the mechanics will work, but now need to find a small enough servo either linear or gear-driven, and the controller concept. since there's so many after market cruise controls out there, I thought there had to be readily available components. So that's where I am so far.