Maker Pro
Maker Pro

NTE1237 AM radio/demodulator IC - a real oddball

Solidus

Jun 19, 2011
I had a question for a small Arduino transceiver I was planning on making -

I found an AM radio IC - more precisely, a demodulator as it lacks the audio amplifier stages - and I cannot find sastisfactory data on it for the life of me.

The part number is NTE1237.

Now what I need to know about it is the bandwidth it is capable of achieving - there's a large difference between being in the AM kHz range and being onto the 17,20,40, and 80-meter bands.

Has anyone had any experience with this chipset? I've seen lightbulbs with more detailed datasheets than this. The datasheet simply specifies supply conditions and THD/quiescent current draw, which is fine and dandy, but when you're dealing with RF components, it helps to specify the bandwidth.

I also can't for the life of me find any circuits that utilize it - which I need, as the two page datasheet (one page of which is dimensions only) does not elucidate between Vcc RF/OSC, RF in, and OSC Tank.

The upside to using this IC if it fits my needs is that I can input a manual VFO/VCO/digital carrier signal for the frequency, and get pretty raw audio out that I can decide what to do with, as well as coming in a 14-pin DIP package that I can mount pretty much anywhere my heart desires. It also carries a built-in tuning circuit, so no having to rig 15 multiplexer cascades together to match the TX signal.

Let me know if you've dealt with this oddball IC before.

EDIT

Maybe this changes the game, but it seems this is the demodulator end of what should be a superheterodyne receiver circuit. That being said, does anyone know where I can find a chipset that will mix down the input line and that has an IF injector for the final demodulation?

"Look twice, post once"

Last edited:

Solidus

Jun 19, 2011
The link for this particular IC on that site is dead, or so says my computer.

I've already found the datasheet, and it tells me nothing than other than electrical supply conditions and THD.

http://www.ralphselectronics.com/productimages/SYL-1237.PDF

Second of all, that information is barely reliable at that, seeing that it rates detector voltage in milliwatts.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The link for this particular IC on that site is dead, or so says my computer.

yup agreed, really annoys ya when that happens huh !

D

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Wow, my computer worked better than somebody else's for once.
I can access the link, but maybe because I found it, and my computer recognizes it.
Anyway, if the data sheet tells you 'nothing', your problem is over my head.

TorontoBob

Oct 6, 2013
Spec sheet for the ECG1237/NTE1237

Here is the datasheet for the ECG1237 which is the same part as the NTE1237.

Attachments

• ECG1237.pdf
    89.8 KB · Views: 139

Solidus

Jun 19, 2011
It's an interesting part, that's for sure. The datasheet is laid out in a unique way, helpful in some ways, not so much in others.

It's not very often you find a full superhet receiver IC, if I can find the chip I may very well end up building a design with it just out of curiosity.