Connect with us

Now I need to build a flight simulator!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Anon_LG, Jun 7, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Anon_LG

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
    Hello, the flight simulator that I have been working on for several months now has developed more rapidly than expected. The team I am part of has won £5000 pounds for coming first in the prototype stage of a flight simulator competition. We now are competing with the other school, which has also been awarded £5000 pounds. Along with the chassis and the pneumatic artificial muscle construction, the electronics and programming is a key part of the build, so I am allowed a sizable portion of the budget!

I am told that one of the things that appealed to the judges was the fact that we are programming it entirely ourselves, the other schools were either modifying simulators with help from various experienced adults or were purchasing a commercial simulator. Ours is of our own design, programmed in C++ on a Raspberry pi, with a lot of trigonometry. The physics simulation is in a reliable state at the moment, simulating forces acting upon the plane and allowing user input to move it in the yaw-pitch-roll axis (I think they are called Tait Bryan angles, intrinsic yaw, extrinsic roll (where the roll plane is free to rotate about all axis) and extrinsic pitch (where the pitch plane is free to rotate about both horizontal axes)). The mathematics is rather confusing, and it has so far involved a lot of trial and error. The graphics involves using a code snippet within SDL to address points on the screen and draw lines between them. Then over the top of this, I have cut it down and have been developing a 3d perspective engine. This is also is moving along nicely, and is my main focus.

We are currently in the purchase planning stage with the £5000, and have to present an approximate list of required items in 6 weeks to show the judges that we will behave responsibly. I know that I am using a Raspberry Pi 3 as the computing unit, as I have been using a model 2 to prototype.

I need to be able to program AVRs from Raspbian running on the Pi. I have the ISP programmer and know how to hook up the connections. What is my best option for programming them? The flight simulator has been worked on in Codeblocks. If I change the compiler settings, can I program the AVRs from inside Codeblocks? Does Codeblocks have any integrated USB drivers etc that will interface with the ISP programmer? [Edit, don't worry about drivers, I just need the compiled hex to put into AVRdude]

The team is extremely surprised that we were awarded one of two first places, and I am expected to really deliver one this one. The only think that I am stuck on is how to go about programming these AVRs.

Any advice is appreciated,

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
  3. Anon_LG

Anon_LG

Jun 24, 2014
    Thank you Harald

Yes, those do help, I have not seen either of those articles and will follow them for programming.

Thanks,

Ask a Question