Connect with us

Novice needs help!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Chay jackson, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Chay jackson

Chay jackson

Feb 19, 2017
    Hi, im really hoping you can help me, im sure you will be able to as my problem will almost certainly be easy for you experts! Basically ive got a small bluetooth unit and i want to be able to wire it up to some existing speakers ive already got. Obviously the unit is 12v dc but i want to be able to power it from 240 mains? Am i able to do this or would i need a transformer of some description? If so what type and are they expensive?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...=FV9WJDDQ9ME9QFP36841&dpPl=1&dpID=61zVFhXPMtL

2. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    how does it plug into 12volts?
    Yes a transformer is needed and I have seen them cheaper then the Bluetooth device you are using... when I say cheaper, half to 1/4 that price
    the transformer used can be anything from a battery charger for your car, to an old PC laptop.
    THE MAIN CONCERN IS THAT IS MUST BE 12VOLTS(having said that alternators go up to 4 but for your piece of mind stay to 12)
    the other thing to consider is amps or watts, I would recommend trying to find affordable but lotsa amps or watts (up to 5/10amps or 60/120watts)
    best of luck

3. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    A transformer alone will not sufffice. You'll need a complete power supply, including filtering and regulation. Search your favorite seller's catalog for "12v 60w power supply". Make sure the input voltage is rated for AC 230 V / 240 V mains.
    For obvious safety reasons you should get a sealed unit with matching mains cord (this is an example).
    You should not buy an open unit (like this one) as the risk of an electric shock is much higher when not handled properly.

4. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    Is the power supply (*not* just a transformer) going on the boat also, or is it for powering the unit on dry land only?

ak

Ask a Question