Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Novice designing circuits

luke stavrowsky

Mar 9, 2016
New to forum....seek advice. I want to build a variety of circuits for a business idea I have. Once designed, these circuits will work in a variety of applications for my business. I'm looking to seek design help, but want to protect my business scheme? Most of my circuits are (what I believe an experienced electronics engineer would conclude) relatively simple. What advice can you give towards this end? Would it best serve me to approach a university and hire an engineering student? I have a limited budget, and cannot afford to hire an engineering firm. Does anyone on this site design circuits for a fee? I would expect them to sign a confidentiality agreement. Also a very simple contract detailing our relationship. The maximum number of circuits is around fourteen (14) separate designs (give or take a few). I appreciate advice anyone with experience in these matters can give.

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
I design circuits for $1.00 per hour.
$1.00 per hour is an enormous amount for me.

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
New to forum....seek advice. I want to build a variety of circuits for a business idea I have. Once designed, these circuits will work in a variety of applications for my business. I'm looking to seek design help, but want to protect my business scheme? Most of my circuits are (what I believe an experienced electronics engineer would conclude) relatively simple. What advice can you give towards this end? Would it best serve me to approach a university and hire an engineering student? I have a limited budget, and cannot afford to hire an engineering firm. Does anyone on this site design circuits for a fee? I would expect them to sign a confidentiality agreement. Also a very simple contract detailing our relationship. The maximum number of circuits is around fourteen (14) separate designs (give or take a few). I appreciate advice anyone with experience in these matters can give.

It is hard to respond not having any idea what kind of circuits you are talking about. A confidentiality agreement is certainly a wise thing for you. Us that where you want to start?

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Can you at least give us a vague area of operation? RF, small dc power supplies, audio, video, temperature sensing or other industrial control, LED drivers, motor speed control, little computerized gadget, MP3 player, space shuttle, other?

Also, are you looking for a design service only (schematic and bill of materials), or that plus pc board layouts, or plus prototype assembly and test, or plus packaging design, or plus production setup, or plus safety certifications?

ak

luke stavrowsky

Mar 9, 2016
Dc circuits that monitor temperature of some liquids, also monitor current flow/ voltages in existing DC circuits. May include incorporation of integrated circuits (very limited for reasons of simplicity). I believe the circuit designs I'm interested in are relatively simple to understand and design (not reinventing something new, just different application).

PC board layouts, prototype assembly will need to be done (actually just one prototype to start with ). I believe One PC board will contain all test circuits. Some Experience or knowledge about PC board design and manufacturing process is helpful - because I have none (doesn't need to be extensive because I solve problems, so basic understanding of how it's typically done should suffice). I'm basically talking about a circuit built in a garage with an over used soldering iron to start! I Will test myself. If prototypes work well, I will move into production and marketing down the road. The idea has to work well, and the test marketing has to reveal potential. I can contribute all the information someone would need to sit down and design these circuits. Once explained, I believe it will be easy to develop idea.This is not a job that will provide anyone a steady income immediately. This is a "bit of fun" solving problems and seeing what happens? So far, I'm solving problems that no one else is addressing.
This is a small time business start up (love it) with potentially big applications. The market is there....

I believe most circuits will be relatively simple to design (if you speak the language). We're talking diodes, current limiters, voltage regulators, thermistors, inductors, npn or pnp transistors acting as switching circuits, led's.....

Let me clarify that I'm a Small entrepreneur at this point!! Idea has merit and good sales potential (I believe).
I need to know what I can expect to pay someone for these services (ballpark hourly rate for competent engineering). Contact info such as e- mail off this forum etc..
Is probably a good place to start. Only serious people please.

P.S. I am not in a hurry, and I am looking at engineering students at the local university as well. References would be great (if you've done this before).

Thanks for your time!

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
I believe the circuit designs I'm interested in are relatively simple to understand and design (not reinventing something new, just different application).
Have you considered the Intellectual Property aspects of this? It looks as though you would be incorporating existing things which might be already patented/registered.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Thanks for adding to the nature of the designs. Do you see anything being microcontroller based, or all discretes?

ak

Herschel Peeler

Feb 21, 2016
Dc circuits that monitor temperature of some liquids, also monitor current flow/ voltages in existing DC circuits. May include incorporation of integrated circuits (very limited for reasons of simplicity). I believe the circuit designs I'm interested in are relatively simple to understand and design (not reinventing something new, just different application).

PC board layouts, prototype assembly will need to be done (actually just one prototype to start with ). I believe One PC board will contain all test circuits. Some Experience or knowledge about PC board design and manufacturing process is helpful - because I have none (doesn't need to be extensive because I solve problems, so basic understanding of how it's typically done should suffice). I'm basically talking about a circuit built in a garage with an over used soldering iron to start! I Will test myself. If prototypes work well, I will move into production and marketing down the road. The idea has to work well, and the test marketing has to reveal potential. I can contribute all the information someone would need to sit down and design these circuits. Once explained, I believe it will be easy to develop idea.This is not a job that will provide anyone a steady income immediately. This is a "bit of fun" solving problems and seeing what happens? So far, I'm solving problems that no one else is addressing.
This is a small time business start up (love it) with potentially big applications. The market is there....

I believe most circuits will be relatively simple to design (if you speak the language). We're talking diodes, current limiters, voltage regulators, thermistors, inductors, npn or pnp transistors acting as switching circuits, led's.....

Let me clarify that I'm a Small entrepreneur at this point!! Idea has merit and good sales potential (I believe).
I need to know what I can expect to pay someone for these services (ballpark hourly rate for competent engineering). Contact info such as e- mail off this forum etc..
Is probably a good place to start. Only serious people please.

P.S. I am not in a hurry, and I am looking at engineering students at the local university as well. References would be great (if you've done this before).

Thanks for your time!

What temperature range? Does C or F matter? What range of voltage and current are to be monitored?