Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Novice Communication Question

electropath

Oct 9, 2010
Hello,

I'm not an electronic engineer neither I have the basic foundation the domain. I'm just a starter.

My question, with all this wireless communications, countless waves and signals from radios, TVs, satellites, RC toys, cell phones, wireless internet, ...etc. I'm interested to know how these signals don't interfere with each other and they are kept separate, and how a receiver device can pick a certain signal/wave and extract and filter its content clearly from any other billion signals around? Which field of electronics and communications deals with this subject?

Is there any suggested material I should read as a foundation for this topic?

Thanks.

Militoy

Aug 24, 2010
Radio signals are transmitted in energy fields loosely called ‘waves’. Think of space as a big lake full of water – and the waves as being created by disturbances distributed around the lake. The energy from each disturbance creates a motion in the water that travels out in all directions from the source of the disturbance. As two waves meet, they pass through each other with little interference – unless the distance between the wave peaks are exactly the same, and the “trough” or “valley” of one wave exactly meets the peak of the other, and they cancel out. It’s not actually the water that is travelling from one point to another – it’s the energy of the disturbance passing through the water. Electronic circuits that are designed to detect radio waves are “tuned” to only react to waves that have a specific distance between the peaks – or a specific “frequency”. They ignore waves of the “wrong” frequency – so there is relatively little interference in space in the transmitted energy waves from other frequencies – and there is little interference in the circuitry at the detection end. This may (or may not) be of some help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandwidth_(signal_processing))

Or this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation)

Last edited: