Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Nordictrack C2420 Console

Tommy Hill

Aug 3, 2017
My treadmill is around 10 years old. The console has become intermittent. At times (extremely rare) the console has worked like the day it was purchased but normally it has problems. About 3 weeks ago I decided to give it another try and it worked perfectly for 2 runs with all buttons working. After the 2nd run it reverted back to its old problems. The console only works the 3, 8, 12 mph speed buttons. No other buttons work on the console. Three mph is too slow and 8 mph is too fast for a 55 yr old. My desired use is warm-up at 3 & 4 walking and then running at 5/6 mph with an occasional foray into the 7 mph range.

Can an alternative method be used to change speeds other than using the console buttons? I do not need the console to track mileage or calories or anything else (those things would be nice but I mainly need the treadmill to run for periods of time). I am a high school soccer referee and just need to prepare for endurance. Thanks

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
An educated guess from the descriptions that you provide, along with a 10 year age of the unit seems to suggest a, slooooooooooooooow, time progressed change /decline of a section of the control unit or its power supply.
Can you now confirm for us that in the cool morning, when the unit is being stone dead cold , it operates alright but after there is time for the internal control panels components warming up, your problem shows up ?
If this proves to be true, see if it is possible to open the Control Panel enough to be able to see all of the internal electronics .
Then one would want to operate the system up to the point where the buttons adjustments do their failures and then use a handheld blow dryer set to its cold air blow only function and get in very close to cool components down, with that cooling air stream.
That might then cause the full functionality to return . . . . thus confirming need to restore that board, with defective / marginal parts being replaced within it.

Pee Ess . . . .
57 yr old soccer coach " referees" . . . .don'ts gots no " endurances" ! . . . . . any who.

73's de Edd

Last edited:

Tommy Hill

Aug 3, 2017
At this time it will not work normally at all. The only buttons that work are 3, 8, & 12 mph.

I saw a youtube video that said the layers of the circuit board could, over time, get stuck in place and cause only certain segments of the console to work. I am looking for a way to initiate the speed by jumping the cable that runs from the console to the control board next to the motor. Thanks for your reply.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Tommy Hil . . . . .

Does this seem to be your units control head and motor controller board.

If so, does any of the display light up or do all of the incline buttons respond, since it is a clone of the speeed control, in the interfacing aspects.
And do other functions get a display response . . .or do you just have a DEAD unit now ?

Nordictrac 2420.jpg

73's de Edd

Tommy Hill

Aug 3, 2017
This is my console. All the display lights work but none of the buttons other than 3, 8, 12 mph.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Ohhhhhhhhh Tay . . .thats Greeeeeeat, then, check and see if all of the buttons on the left INCLINE will respond and adjust accordingly, as they use the same input multiplexing technology as the SPEED ones do.
Nextly ? ? ? do you have a DVM . . . . or one to borrow . . . . to do some ohmmic reading with ?
And also . . . a dull,rusty and bent Phillips screwing driver . . . to get inside of the console with ?
Also clarify for me:
You have up and down buttons on both the Speed and Incline functions, is there also an active button being at each of the 12 positions of each, so that you could push a button to get a quick and instant entry.
OR do you have to use either the up or down buttons and then hold it while it steps thru the settings and you then release it at the proper setting.
So . . . in reality, each of the 12 buttons are NOT being individually active switches, but they merely light up with LED back lites to indicate its state activity, within the choice of 12.

Last edited:

Tommy Hill

Aug 3, 2017
Thanks. I have the exact console in the picture above. My control board is not the same but I'm sure its just a different board with the same function. I have all the buttons you mentioned but the Incline buttons do not respond along with the Speed buttons. It's just weird that all the led displays work but no buttons on the entire console work with the exception of the 3, 8, 12 Speed buttons. The gradual speed increase buttons do not respond.

I am hoping there is a way to jump or bypass the console and just operate the treadmill on 5/6 mph.

I do have a meter.

Thanks.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Looks like it is time to open up the console and get visual access to the Control board and a viewing of all the connectors and all the interconnected wiring harness and close-up well lit and focused photos of the circuit board and probably both sides of it , with the top initially.
Looks why there is -0 -availability of any techno info on your exact unit that is floating around on the Internet,so we will have to be the pioneer trail blazers.