Connect with us

Noob with a question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by AcroporaGuy, Jul 22, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. AcroporaGuy

AcroporaGuy

Jul 22, 2010
    Hello everybody! I'm new to electronics. It was literally just a day or two ago that I picked up my first electronics book(Electronics for Dummies) and now I'm interested in actually seeing some of these parts I'm reading about and I'm interested in putting my first circuit together. But heres my problem- the electronics store is 50 miles away in a town that I have never had any reason to visit, nor do I think I'll ever have much reason to go to. I have a bunch of old broken electronic devices sitting in a closet but all their circuits and components are all soldered together. I'm wondering if its possible to remove the components from those circuits without damaging the components so that I can start tinkering with them. I just dont really think that such a long drive would be worth the price of the parts, particularly if thats the only reason to drive 50 miles one way. Thanks everybody!

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Hello & welcome! Yes, it's no problem desoldering most of the parts. That's how I first built up my parts assortment (aged 10), and it's great solder/repair training too.
    You won't need much besides an iron, a small screwdiver (for lifting while heating), a roll of solder (to keep the tip fresh), and a solder sucker (for removing >3-pin devices).
    In the process you'll learn how to carefully & efficiently remove parts, & how much abuse different parts & pcb's will take before failing. What iron will you be using btw.?
    You'll also learn to apply a little fresh tin to the tip for every 5 (or so) pin desoldered. Failing that will leave you with a "dry" tip that works poorly and is hard to "tin" again.

3. AcroporaGuy

AcroporaGuy

Jul 22, 2010
    Well, I dont yet have a soldering Iron. Or solder. or anything you mentioned besides a small screwdriver, a book, and a small pile of circuits from various donor devices. Also, i havent gotten to the part in the book about soldering, so I have no idea what "tinning" is or what a "dry" tip is. Wouldn't adding water to a hot tip damage it? Or mabey i should just keep reading and find out for myself. Thanks for the info! Like I said- just a few days into this:)

Ok- just looked it up- water has nothing to do with a dry tip:p Read a bit about me- I'm used to thinking of Wet and dry as being covered in water or not covered in water.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    ok get yourself to your local electronics shop and stock up on some tools

1) 25 to 30 W fixed temperature soldering iron or if you have lots of money and are planning to really give the electronics hobby a serious push get a good variable temperature soldering station.

2) small side-cutters, 4inch a common good size for moderate to fine electronics work

3) a range of sizes of flat blade and philips head screwdrivers

4) a couple of pair of long-nose pliers 1 x larger ones and 1 x smaller one

5) reel of solder 60/40 tin/lead rosin cored (rosin cored = flux is inside the solder)

6) some sort of reasonable multimeter, at least showing Volts Amps, Ohms
    many have capacitance and frequency counter as well

7) a solder sucker and or some solderwick for sucking up the solder

Tinning the soldering iron tip ( or a wire) is to apply a small amount of solder to the
    hot iron tip (makes it "Wet"). as Resqueline said its much easier to remove components if the tip is tinned and also applying a little fresh solder to the component legs where they are soldered through the board.

Water and soldering iron tips .....

NO you dont dunk the iron tip into a container of water. one thing most of us do/have
    is a small tray say 2 inches x 2 inches with some sponge in it. (often comes with the soldering iron/station when purchased) its good to regularly wipe the iron tip through the wet (with water) sponge to clean the tip. There are acids/chemicals in the flux that eat away at (corrode) the iron tip with time.

ok there's a starting point for you

cheers
    Dave

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    once you have all those things then the fun starts for recovering parts off old cct boards
    we have all been there and have the burnt fingertips to prove it hahaha :)

even 40 years later I still recover a large number of components, particularly hard to get ones... why pay for them when I can get them for free ??? :)

TV sets are a good source of components resistors capacitors, transistors etc etc

get some basic electronics books and start learning what the different components are, what they look like and what they do. Get some plastic drawers to put your recovered components in.

once you let us know that you are set up, we can then give more advice on what to recover and how :)

Dave

Ask a Question