Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Noob Solar USB Circuit Help

Jake.

Jun 23, 2013
Hello,
This is my first circuit and I need help.
My plan is to use a 5 volt solar panel, drop the power down and charge AA's, and step it up again to charge a USB.

The diodes i'm using are "1N4001" diodes with the 0.5v voltage drop.
The USB output is a step up regulator seen here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQR26PO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The USB output takes anything from 1v and amps it up to 5 volts (I Volt metered it and it works).

[THE PROBLEM]
After a good long charge on the AAs, I plug in the charger for my phone (or any other usb device) and it registers as charging, but looses power. Even when trying it in the sun.

I think it has something to do with not enough current, so I also made (not seen in the picture) a input powered directly off of another usb with a couple diodes. My devices still say they are charging, but loose charge.

I am a complete noob with this stuff, if anyone could help, that would be great. I already invested more than I wanted to with this project and I would like to make it work.

If more info is needed, let me know.

Thank you,
Jake

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Well, that's going to give you about 1.8V to your USB. That's a lot less than 5V.

Also there's not a lot preventing the AA cells from being overcharged (the three diodes in a row aren't going to do it)

Jake.

Jun 23, 2013
Hey,
the USB module I have amps up the volts to 5 volts. the link to it is included in the description.

EDIT http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQR26PO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UFT8&psc=1

it would have been nice if you had supplied a clickable link, so I didnt have to type that whole flamin' thing in

The AAs are rechargeable, any suggestion how to keep them from overcharging?

Also, any ideas how to get the circuit working or do you think i need more current? if so how?

Last edited by a moderator:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, sorry, I misread what you were doing.

What type of batteries do you have? You really need the appropriate chantrger for them.

If you used Li cells (LiFePO4 are the safest) then you can probably connect a charger to the solar panel output. The 3.3 to 4.2V you get from them would be ideal to drive the module you have.

In addition, you don't waste power with all those series diodes.

Oh the diode before the USB module is not (or should not) be required.

Jake.

Jun 23, 2013
I'm using AA NiMh cells. I'm not sure how safe those are but do I need a charge controller for those?

If I were to get the batteries you suggested, would I need to get a separate charge controller or is it included with the battery?

[EDIT]

What do you think about this battery?
http://www.amazon.com/TenergyLi-Ion...e=UTF8&qid=1372192152&sr=1-1&keywords=li-poly

If i'm right, I wouldn't need a special charger as long as 4.2 - 3.7 volts go into it?

Thanks again

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
*ALL* batteries require a special charger! The only exception is for very slow trickle charging of lead acid batteries.

For a LiIon battery, failing to provide the correct charging (and discharging) regime will result in a permanently dead battery at best and a very nasty fire with possible explosions at worst.

In this case, you could probably get away with a cheap LiIon charger that plugs into a USB socket (there's bazillions available from China for a couple of bucks). Your Solar panel could probably plug straight into them, although I'd probably place a 5.6V zener diode across the solar panel to limit the maximum voltage.

The charger will limit the current that can flow to the battery, so a few judiciously placed diodes would allow any excess current to pass to your USB module bypassing the batteries.