Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Noob power plug question

MasterPimp

Mar 22, 2016
Hi everyone, hope you dont mind helping me out on this one. So, i have a Guitar pedalboard and it needs an AC-AC 9V 2A powersupply which broke. So i got a new one but the power plug is 2.1mm and i need 2.5mm. My question now is, if i buy something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261743790830
will it work because it says DC power jack and my pedalboard needs AC.
Thank you

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
You know the problem. Those barrel jacks come in different diameters and some even have different depths.
The only way you can be sure, is to get the exact size replacement.
The other issue is that as you also recognize, those power adapters come in AC or DC.
You CANNOT interchange them. If you need an AC power out, you CANNOT substitute a DC output adapter.
Keep looking.

Last edited:

MasterPimp

Mar 22, 2016
You know the problem. Those barrel jacks come in different diameters and some even have different depths.
The only way you can be sure, is to get the exact size replacement.
The other issue is that as you also recognize, those power adapters come in AC or DC.
You CANNOT interchange them. If you need an AC power out, you CANNOT substitute a DC output adapter.
Keep looking.

Thank you for your reply. Is there a way to replace the jack? Not use an adapter but to cut the wires and install one with the right size? I really want to avoid buy another power supply and just have this one laying around unused

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Of course. Measure the dimensions of the plug you want to use, and get it's female mate. Just make sure your power supply is the AC version that your device utilizes.
Be sure the female connector you buy is physically configured to actually fit and be secured in your device. There are many configurations available.