Connect with us

noob need help identifyng resistor

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by cresstt, Apr 14, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. cresstt

cresstt

Apr 14, 2012
    hi all,

I've a water damaged PCB board. I'm trying to replace burnt components but got confused on these 2 resistors. I've goggled (http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/resistor_color_code.php) and found reference on how to interpret resistor color bands.
    [​IMG]

Can somebody please confirm that it is a 0.5 ohm for r34 and 160 ohm resistor for r36.

I cant measure the value using a multimeter as both the resistors are burnt being recognition.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    You're correct on the values. That last black band on the 160 Ohm resistor indicates a 250ppm temperature coefficient. Obviously the photo is not of the damaged board, just one like it.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    and if it is the water damaged board, why do you think these 2 resistors are burnt ?

until told otherwise, I will side with KJ6EAD's assumption :)

Dave

4. cresstt

cresstt

Apr 14, 2012
    thanks Kj6EAD and dave

to answer Dave's question; water was dripping on Vr1 and somehow shorted Vr1, R34 and r36. All three components were burnt and black in color due to water shorting Vr1.

R35 looks okay but I opted to change it anyway.

The picture was from 2008, before I installed the PCB.

Although VR1 is burnt but I can make out the first 4 letters which are LM31
    so I believe its a LM317T voltage regulator.

Thanks!

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    ok no probs :)

did you actually try measuring the values of R34 and 36 ?
    I have, over the years, seen some pretty charred resistors that are still very close to their nominal value. Tis always a good backup on their values when it comes to replacement :)

Dave

Ask a Question