Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Noob building from schematic.

Adam Sackfield

Jun 13, 2015
Good Afternoon,

First I will apologise for my complete lack of knowledge of the task I am trying to complete, basically I am a new photographer and came across a technique for an IR sensor to trigger the shutter and thought I would attempt to build it from the schematic here

Due to lack of understanding of the task at hand it's proving to be a nightmare, I have been consulting my uncle who is an electrical engineer, but feel I am testing his patience now so I thought I would post online and see if I can be guided.

The issues I have had and solved by my uncle were the potentiometers not having the legs in the same place as the schematic, but solved this with jumpers from middle leg to its destination :) Then there was the SCRs being a different layout again solved by moving the resistors to different slot.

Where I am stumped now is the capacitors legs being too short, for one of them I had an empty row so used a jumper for this to link it where it was meant to go. However I have another capacitor that has no empty rows around it and i'm clueless on how to extend it's legs, do I need to go and buy a soldering iron or can I just wrap some wire around it, if so what wire.

I envisage I am going to encounter many more issues before the end of the project so any advice would be greatly received, attached are some photos of my progress for you to compare to the schematic.

PS I realise I need to make it tidy but I wanted to ensure I had things correct before cutting down the legs on things.unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
The schematic shows two TO-92 devices.
Do you really need those apparent high current devices for a camera shutter?
You have plenty of open room on the BB to extend or reposition any component?
Also that circuit appears to be a Flash delay of some kind.
M.

Adam Sackfield

Jun 13, 2015
The schematic shows two TO-92 devices.
Do you really need those apparent high current devices for a camera shutter?
You have plenty of open room on the BB to extend or reposition any component?
M.
Thanks for the fast response, I have no idea of the science of this whole thing so not sure what is needed or isn't what it should do is once something breaks the IR beam after a set delay is trigger the shutter. The extra space on the breadboard is due to me only being around 40% through the building of it and there won't be much space at the end.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
I did not actually see the schematic diagram, just the description on the site?
The action of a flash and a shutter is a little different The SCR with conduct and stay on while the power is connected using DC.
I would be interested in seeing the schematic or post a link.
M.

Adam Sackfield

Jun 13, 2015
I did not actually see the schematic diagram, just the description on the site?
The action of a flash and a shutter is a little different The SCR with conduct and stay on while the power is connected using DC.
I would be interested in seeing the schematic or post a link.
M.

My bad I thought I linked to the site where I am building it from at the start, here is the link http://hiviz.com/kits/instructions/spg-du-manual2.htm

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Yes, you can simply extend the capacitor leads.
I regularly use crocodile clips when there isn't enough room.

You seem to have lots of space to the left side. Put caps there and jumper wires back to the location on the board.

On the link you posted, scroll down all the way and click on the last picture.
It has a great view of the component layout.
Breadboard is easy if you follow the columns, rows and lettering.

Martin

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
DU_10.jpg

Adam Sackfield

Jun 13, 2015
Thanks for the fast response, I have no idea of the science of this whole thing so not sure what is needed or isn't what it should do is once something breaks the IR beam after a set delay is trigger the shutter. The extra space on the breadboard is due to me only being around 40% through the building of it and there won't be much space at the end.
Maybe schematic is the wrong word then, I was referring to the manuals images of the completed breadboard. Sorry about that

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Maybe schematic is the wrong word then, I was referring to the manuals images of the completed breadboard. Sorry about that

no probs ... as you said you are new to this and that dopey site cannot even supply a schematic ... only a layout DOH

for your learning, this is a schematic .... ( just an example .. not your circuit)

circuit-ultrasonic-t.jpg

cheers
Dave