Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Non isolated mains LED bulb = illegal?

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
The following 13.5W LED bulb is mains connected but is it definitely non-isolated?...........
http://www.feit.com/led-lamps/performance/dimmable/a-shape/a19-om800-led

....At time 20:52 of the following, is this the proof that its not isolated?....

..also, if you view from time 6:34 of the above video , you can see that the MCPCB that contains the (non-isolated) led circuit is literally lying right on the heatsink which which appears to be opening out to the external of the bulb

is The electric circuit used is as on page 15 of the following pdf? ........

SSL2103 pwm controller from nxp
http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/SSL2103.pdf

Last edited:

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Why would it be any more illegal than an incandescant bulb that is not isolated? Presumably the PCB is insulated from the heat sink.

Bob

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
The PCB is mcpcb and i don't know if it is insulated from the heatsink.
Is it true that the only insulation between mains, and the outside of the bulb (where people touch it) is the few microns thickness of insulation inbetween the top of the mcpcb and the base of the mcpcb?
Incandessants don't need isolation, because the mains is behind the glass of the bulb, so you can't touch it

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Does it have regulatory approval?

My guess is that if it does, and the approval is genuine, then it's not illegal.

edit: which is not to say that it is as safe as I would like.

Last edited:

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
This is a brand sold at Lowes, (big box hardware store in U.S.) so I suspect it has regulatory approval.

Bob

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
So then the question becomes: How did this device get the regulatory approval?

If it did so legitimately, is there either more isolation that the teardown suggests, or are the requirements in this regard less than we might assume?

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
The below article shows what is adequate insulation...as in pri-sec insulation in offline transformers.

The creepage is also to be considered...

Regarding offline smps transformers.....Page 24 (and other pages) of this shows what the required primary to secondary insulation is...its 3 layers of part number 1296 (polyester tape) from 3M
http://www.powerint.com/sites/default/files/product-docs/an18.pdf

......3 layers of that special tape...does that equate to more than the bit of insulation between the mcpcb top and base? There is also the creepage to think of...

Last edited:

Six_Shooter

Nov 16, 2012
We must be watching two different videos, I do not see a way to touch any of the internal electronics or heatsink(s) without taking the bulb apart.

It's not until 5 minutes in that the base of the lens is removed exposing the heatsink/PCB.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
This bulb is unquestionably illegal.

And yet, if it has a legitimate regulatory approval in your country (assuming such approval is required to ensure it is compliant with legislated requirements) then in terms of that legislation it must be seen as "legal".

I'm pretty sure that your concern is about the exposed (presumably conductive) heatsink?

The LEDs themselves are behind a diffuser which should provide a barrier to someone poking their fingers in there.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
If this bulb is like others I have bought, I don't think the exposed heatsink is actually exposed metal, it is coated with something which perhaps provides enough insuation.

Bob

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
....At time 20:52 of the following, appears to be the proof that this mains light bulb not isolated?....

...considering the lack of the full 8mm of regulatory mains isolation, would it be ok to do a flyback led driver with the primary and secondary just being bifilar wound enamelled copper wire? (not triple insulated copper wire)