Connect with us

Non invasive current monitor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Pensioner, May 7, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Pensioner

Pensioner

May 7, 2017
    Hi everyone
    I imagine what I am after will be very simple to those with a good knowledge of electronics, mine is very sketchy. I want to monitor a 12 volt DC circuit (car) that will have a permanent voltage on it, when the circuit is carrying a current, which can be any value between 2 and 15 amps I want to detect that current without changing the circuit impedance and operate a relay or SSR. I'm not looking for an off the shelf answer, I want to build it just for the hell of it.

Regards Pensioner

2. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Several non-invasive transducers available, Honeywell make a wide range, there is also the ACS712, available on its own or on a board on ebay for a couple of $$.
    M.

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    As a side note, you can't measure anything without having an effect on it. (Heisenberg was right). Even these ACS712 chips add some series resistance and inductance. Practically speaking though, there would be very few cases where it could be noticed.

Ask a Question