Connect with us

Non contact AC voltage tester

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Karthik rajagopal, Jan 13, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Karthik rajagopal

Karthik rajagopal

May 9, 2016
    Hi all,
    I recently made a non contact AC voltage tester with IC 4017. It works well . In the video that I saw the person told that the clock input of this ic would detect the emf produced which causes the LED to blink at a higher rate. My circuit works just as he said but it also detect DC voltages that are produced in AC to DC adaptor. How is that able to detect DC voltages? If so it detects then why only the DC current produced in adaptors and not in normal DC batteries? Please help not able to understand the logic behind.
    The video is :

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Those things have a fairly broad pickup....they can detect AC over the wiring.

3. Karthik rajagopal

Karthik rajagopal

May 9, 2016
    Do you mean the ac voltage is not completely converted to DC? Please explain.

4. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    AC-DC adapters are not usually well screened, so stray radiated EM fields are present which can be picked up by your body and by nearby wires, such as the one you are holding in the pic.

5. Karthik rajagopal

Karthik rajagopal

May 9, 2016
    Thank you for the reply.

davenn likes this.
  6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    yup as a result, any reading you got would be totally unreliable

7. Karthik rajagopal

Karthik rajagopal

May 9, 2016
    But I have heard many saying all microcontrollers need a very precise DC voltage for them to function. Then how are they able to work with voltages from AC to DC power supply?

8. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    The power supply to a microcontroller needs to be well decoupled (using low-impedance capacitors) so that stray EM fields are 'shorted to ground' and don't adversely affect the micro's performance.

9. Karthik rajagopal

Karthik rajagopal

May 9, 2016
    Does the value of capacitors used in decoupling differ for different IC 's?

10. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    In general, yes. ICs drawing heavy current will normally require greater decoupling than those drawing light current.

11. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Typically, you need a 100nF ceramic cap near each pair of power pins.

Bob

12. Karthik rajagopal

Karthik rajagopal

May 9, 2016
    Thank you for the answers.

Ask a Question