Maker Pro
Maker Pro

non conductive adhesive choices

wopachop

Jul 22, 2012
I have been researching and read 2 part epoxy, hot glue, and RTV silicone are non conductive. But avoid the RTV with a vinegar smell as that can harm some electronics. Not sure how much of this is true. Would an automotive "sensor safe" silicone work and be cheaper than something i buy from an electronics supply store?

Im looking to attach PCB's to plastic. Also looking to simply cover electrical components to insulate them from metal contact. Been using 2 part epoxy but that stuff aint cheap. Hot glue gets soft in warmer areas so scratch that. I would prefer a type of soft silicone that is electronic safe but not crazy expensive.

Whats available and where do you guys like to buy? Drying time is not much of an issue.

brevor

Apr 9, 2013
RTV silicone is fine for electronics, I once worked at a company that made electronics for military aircraft. We used RTV on the components so they would not break loose from vibration. The military had to approve everything that went into those units and they had no problem with RTV. The stuff we used was made by Dow Corning and smelled like vinegar, but the cheap stuff from the home improvement store is just as good.

wopachop

Jul 22, 2012
There are many types of Silicone and Caulking at home improvement stores. Any comments towards them?

I see some type of white electrical caulk used on RC planes. People on the rc forums say that it closely mimics Adhesive Caulking. Which is much different than silicone.

Would like to understand the differences if anyone knows whats up?

Last edited:

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
RTV is a particular type.
If you've got specific questions, contact the web or phone number on the packages
of each type you're interested in, and ask the mfgr for specifics on their particular
product.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I am wary of anything that smells of vinegar since that's acetic acid, and acid is acid. OK on glass, but I wouldn't use it on a metal surface.

I'd (at the very least) choose something that said "neutral cure",

The manufacturers are a good first stop for information. See here for an example. Note especially that if acetic acid isn't used, something else is. And that something else can be a problem too.

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
You're asking for trouble using the general purpose silicon. The type they use for fish tanks is safe.

wopachop

Jul 22, 2012
Thanks everyone. Im trying out the automotive RTV sensor safe silicone. The black tube. Will have to keep looking around for something a little less expensive.