Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Noisy Neighbour Punisher!

bracken

Jun 27, 2010
We recently had the misfortune to have an 'inconsiderate' young couple to move into the cottage next door. The guy uses 4 letter words frequently and loudly. The girl has a loud voice and raucus laugh. A neighbour 3 houses away can hear every word of their conversations/arguments/phone calls but whats worse is that on warm summer evenings this goes on in their back garden. Yes I asked nicely for them to keep the noise down but was told p*ss off and had the girl saying 'bring it on' etc (believe it or not she teaches kids art!!!). So now the time has come for 'retribution' or should this be 're-training'?!

What I want to build is a HF audio generator that will cover around 14k to 20k. I want to amplify this to a lot of watts and put it into a powerful tweeter or HF horn. Here's the clever bit - I only want it to fire off when it detects noise above a certain level in the speech spectrum, so when these people or their friends are noisy they get blasted with a shot of HF noise back. When they stop to 'listen' to what the noise is and where its coming from - nothing! Hopefully they will find it so unpleasant they will go indoors. I already tried playing frequencies around 15k to 17k to my kids from the laptop (minute speakers) and they say its quite loud and annoying (at 2m distance). I sat in the garden and played the sound clips and got the comment between the girl and the guy next door "Is that a phone ringing?". So - how bad will this be for them at xx watts at midnight or 1am when they are having noisy conversations in their garden?!

Now for the technical bit - a circuit for the sound generator - adjustable please for the most annoying frequency - should this be sine, square, sawtooth? Should it 'warble' or be a constant tone? Then I need an amp powerful enough to amplify it and make it unpleasant. I also need a circuit I can connect to a mic I can hide in the hedge that will 'trigger' the HF generator and amp. It needs to have an adjustable threshold and filter so it doesn't trigger with the HF sound (feedback). Finally I need some sort of high power rated HF tweeter but should I go for piezo or conventional? How does one drive a high impedance piezo compared with standard 8 ohm unit? Can one obtain directional tweeters that would direct the sound mainly in their direction? The people we are aiming at are region 25 yrs old whereas we are in our 50's and can't hear higher frequencies. Would there be any possibility of hearing damage if we can't actually hear the sounds?

I need to cover a distance of around 10 - 20m from our hedge boundary so how many watts at HF? Also at HF would our neighbours be able to pinpoint the source? I guess if it only comes on when they make a noise this would be difficult for them.

So circuits and suggestions please! And thanks in advance!

pdjh

Jun 28, 2010
Interesting solution Bracken.

I suggest a frequency around 18kHz, this should be audible to your neighbours, but less audible to yourself. It is likey they will pinpoint the source because of the high frequency, so perhaps more than one horn speaker in different locations would be better.

Don't over do the decibels. Even without generating a sound loud enough to cause hearing damage, this whole idea could land you in trouble. A public address amplifier and horn speakers hooked up to a simple oscillator should take care of the loud bit, then you need a sound operated relay and a high freqency filter with a cutoff frequency lower than the oscillator frequency.

What part of the world are you in? Breeding your own mosquitoes might be an effective way to keep your neighbours indoors on those summer evenings, all you need is shallow standing water :D

Last edited:

bracken

Jun 27, 2010
I am in UK! I myself cannot hear above 12k as I'm in my 50's. I already bought a piezo horn from Ebay (150w/35w rms) for only £2.50 so hope this is adequate. Guess I can easily build an oscillator with a 555, I have some in the shed! Yes I think if possible use a stereo amp and 2 tweeters set at slighly different frequencies to get a nice annoying 'beat'. The location is good as its a row of cottages but only they have a back garden. Beyond that is countryside so little chance of anyone else being annoyed. They also can't see through my hedge and have no access to my property so would not be able to prove what I am doing. In any case if its switched on at night or when we are at home the authorities would not be able to detect it.

Can't wait to get my own back on these 'foul mouths'! Maybe I'm old fashioned but I believe in respecting others right to peace and quiet late at night and not to offend people with foul language!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I am permanently deaf in one ear due to working in close proximity to a device that was producing large amounts of high frequency audio. I could not hear it, but the results are very real. The results also extend way down from the high frequency end of my hearing to the parts required for the understanding of speech.

I would suggest that you be very careful, because if someone did this to me deliberately, I would be very displeased.

I would focus on checking what legislation you have to prevent excessive noise. I believe that the UK has plenty of options available. An "arms war" would not, in my personal opinion, be the way to tackle the problem.

You may be better off getting a number of similarly affected neighbors to, as a group, get a lawyer to send the noisy pair a strongly worded letter.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Just record the yellings in high fidelity (or not) , and play back full blast endlessly, speakers aimed back to them when they are home, while you go shopping a few hours.:rolleyes:
No need for much equipment. A casette player set to 'endless' and your good home stereo.

bracken

Jun 27, 2010
Steve - well people here 'don't get involved' they just suffer. Basically this guy is a 25 year old plumber and has lots of yobby friends so people just 'endure' - shut their windows on hot nights and suffer. lets face it, its intimidating. The laws here may be good in theory but it could take months, years to gather evidence and there is always chance of 'retribution'. I don't think a tweeter placed 10m from them would be loud enough to cause damage - just very irritating - like they are to us. You can't reason with people who have s**t for brains!

Regarding the idea of playing back their rantings - well then they would know its us doing it - good idea but I guess we could then be prosecuted for making a noise! One thing I did think was to record with a mic and play back almost instantaneously with a split second delay - have you ever tried talking whilst listening to yourself half a second later? You slur your words. HOWEVER I'd rather it be anonymous.

One final option would be to play very low sounds (5HZ) which is around the resonance of the human body - LF sources are very hard to pinpoint and I believe very loud LF sounds are being investigated for warfare - however I would need very powerful speakers and amp which would cost an arm and leg!

Anyway looking for technical advice here - I sent of sor a piezo tweeter rated 150w (30w RMS) how do I connect this to my hi-fi amp which is normally driving 8ohm speakers? Capacitor/resistor in series? Please advise. Would 30w rms at HF be loud enough to cause discomfort at distance 10m?

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Braken, have you tried contacting the council about this? I had a problem with noisy neighbours a few months ago (I live in an apartment block, and the neighbours decided to play insanely loud music in the middle of the night, every night). After going round and trying to sort it out by talking to them (to no avail) I got in touch with the council, who came round later on in the week to talk about it. They were really good at getting it sorted quickly - which very much surprised me!

Worth a shot if you've not tried it already, as it's probably got a better chance of working. :)

bracken

Jun 27, 2010
Brown note - whats that?!

problem with the council - its not loud noise db wise though they talk loudly - its the language - and talking and laughing at normal volumes (though they both have loud voices) in the eraly hours keeps us awake - or shouting goodnight and shrieking to their friends at 1 or 2am. Problem is its not loud constant music which you could say for definite above certain db. Awkward you see!

Anyway still looking for a sine wave generator - adjustable (555 circuits seem to be square wave), audio switch and advice how to connect my 150/30w tweeter to an amp. Being lazy and out of practise with electronics a kit would be nice but only found a 1kHZ sine gen kit and no audio switch. Got the tweeter today and its got + and - signs on the contacts. It only cost £2.50 from ebay so hope its powerful enough. 150w sounded good though its 30 rms - still probably 'loud'! especially at 14-17kHZ!

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
adam didn't leave anything brown in his diaper. How cool would that have been though?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
You have my sympathies.. Just be careful about self-righteous self-centered blockheads not adjusting or getting the point and turning on you instead..
Here is a thread discussing ultrasonic pest control. ;) I didn't read the whole thread but post #41 seems to be a useful one.
It needs a frequency generator though. Here is another kind of driver complete with 555 oscillators, meant for dog bark control.
You can also use the 555 circuit in the last page to drive the output stage in the first link. At least it's a starting point, with many keywords.

Last edited:

choppy

Apr 27, 2011
Brown Note

The poo poo frequency does not exist. God how I wish it did though. Mythbusters tried it and it nothing happened.

Hello, New to the board. Just had to give my two cents worth.

Peace