Maker Pro
Maker Pro

No sound front panel audio jack (need help)

John Doe

May 5, 2016
Last week I purchased a used custom gaming pc for gaming. I plugged in my monitor, keyboard, etc. But when I plugged my headphones into the front panel audio jack, there was no noise coming from my headphones.

When I plug them into the back panel jack which is part of the mobo, it works fine. I've installed and reinstalled drivers, messed around in the settings, and checked, unplugged, and plugged back in the front panel ports but to no success.

USBs work in the front panel ports which tells me it's not the wiring, headphones work in the back jack which tells me that the drivers are fine, so I don't know what to do. When I go into playback devices with my headphones plugged into the front jack, it says that speakers are not plugged in.

I'm considering buying a 6ft 3.5mm headphone jack extender but if anyone could help me with my problem, that would be great.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
There's a possibility that the jack is damaged or has foreign matter in it. Both are difficult to determine definitively without some experience.

Another possible failure is the jack's solder connections to the PCB. This can be determined by careful visual inspection and continuity checks from the pads on the PCB to the leads of an inserted plug.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
The audio connector might not be even connected to the motherboard

Open up the case, follow the cable down from the top front down usually near to the bottom of the mb, i bet it's prob dangling unattached