Connect with us

No juice through bridge rectifier

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by monk3manth31st, Sep 6, 2012.

1. monk3manth31st

monk3manth31st

Sep 6, 2012
    I am trying to make my own shake flashlight. I have a wire coil, a magnet, a bridge rectifier, and a capacitor. When I test the coil on its own, it registers a current when shook. However when I connect it to the rectifier, there is no DC current registered on the multimeter.

The current is being measured across the blue and red outputs (see attachment)

I tested the rectifier and it appears to be working. I am perplexed as to why I am not getting any kind of DC reading...

Attached Files:

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Diodes have a forward voltage (about 0.7) threshold that needs to be exceeded before they allow flow... Is the voltage created in excess of this? If not the diodes won't allow the flow...

3. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    These things usually have a large cap too!

4. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    A bridge rectifier passes current through two diodes so you need 1.4V before it works.
    You could try just a single diode, preferably a Schottky (low voltage drop) instead of the bridge.

Shake, rattle ond roll!:)

Ask a Question