Maker Pro
Maker Pro

NMEA wire explanation please

Bluewathersailor

Jul 16, 2021
can anyone please explain which wire goes where when connecting to a S3 course computer to the NMEA terminals

I understand that the red wire goes to the power in V+
And Brown look like the NMEA + in
Black yellow and screen are all join togather and shows smart pilot NMEA - and battery negative
This bit have lost me , do they mean connect to the NMEA -in all three
or
to both NMEA-in and the battery v- while taken then through a block and taken one wire to the NMEA in- and the other to the battery v-

Attachments

• IMG_3803.PNG
    IMG_3803.PNG
    408.9 KB · Views: 7

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Yes, according to the diagram, Black, Yellow, screen, Battery (neg) and NMEA (neg) all connect together.

Martin

Bluewathersailor

Jul 16, 2021
Hi Martin
So can I connect black yellow and screen together to J box a then take two wire from the block one going to ( nmea neg in ) on the course computer and the other to a battery neg ,
Sorry to ask again just want to are sure I got it right .
Bloody thing cist enough without blowing it up first time I connect it .

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
According to the diagram, that is how it's wired. Provided of course, that diagram is for your unit.

Martin

Bluewathersailor

Jul 16, 2021
Back for more help guys .
The GPS has been filtered to the NMEA connections on the S3 computer ,
But there a problem ,
The speed over ground on my Raymarine display shows up but less then a minute after I turn on the chart plotter the display shows --- and so do the plotter , turn off the plotter and less then a minute and the display once again shows SOG .

GPS is given a fix on the plotter so it working .

Any ideas why once the plotter turn on that it's lost its SOG and how I can correct it?

Thanks